• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a Dutch company from the UK in a Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a Dutch company from the UK in a Ltd company

Hi there,

I'm struggling to find the correct info regarding being a contractor for a foreign company while residing in the UK. The guides I've found all seem to assume the contractor is spending at least some of their time in the that foreign country.

I have my own Ltd company and am coming up to the end of my current contract. I'm looking at a contract for a company based in the Netherlands who only have the one office. So no UK presence. If I'm working remotely from the UK and invoicing them, what do I have to consider?

Are there any tax advisors people can recommend me look at?

Cheers.

Is it direct or via an agent ? (If agent UK or dutch)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You will be exporting services. Uk tax to pay.
      There are some VAT rules you need to consider.
      More importantly you need to handle Brexit, whatever that may be. Right now you can export services with very few barriers. In 2 months time who knows?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks both. Yes, Brexit may well throw a spanner in the works. Any thoughts on what people are doing to hedge here? Should I be looking at adding terms to my contract that add allowances for unforseen issues due to Brexit? For example, an early termination clause that can be agreed if Brexit changes make it unworkable?

Ghost, it's direct with no middle entity. I'd be invoicing and dealing directly with the client.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Calculator View Post
          Thanks both. Yes, Brexit may well throw a spanner in the works. Any thoughts on what people are doing to hedge here? Should I be looking at adding terms to my contract that add allowances for unforseen issues due to Brexit? For example, an early termination clause that can be agreed if Brexit changes make it unworkable?

Ghost, it's direct with no middle entity. I'd be invoicing and dealing directly with the client.

Thanks.
          30 day notice should suffice. We'll likely know by the end of this month what Brexit means.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Lance, you mentioned "export services", is this the correct term I should be looking for? I was looking at a number of websites that talk about "digital services" but I can't find a list of what this covers.

I'm an ASIC designer but not sure if I am just thrown in the bin of "software engineer".

Comment

Originally posted by Calculator View Post
              Lance, you mentioned "export services", is this the correct term I should be looking for? I was looking at a number of websites that talk about "digital services" but I can't find a list of what this covers.

I'm an ASIC designer but not sure if I am just thrown in the bin of "software engineer".
              You are exporting services as you’re selling a service (your effort) and it’s export as the customer is in a foreign country.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Place of supply for VAT purposes will be the Netherlands making the supply outside the scope of UK VAT.

The customer accounts for VAT under the reverse charge rules. It’s normal to include a notice to that effect on the invoice. Take note that this is not the same as a zero rated supply.

This will continue to be the case after Brexit as the place of supply rules are not changing and your customer will still be required to apply the reverse charge.

One thing that is uncertain from January is the requirement to submit an EC sales list. You will probably still need to but who knows for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  You are exporting services as you’re selling a service (your effort) and it’s export as the customer is in a foreign country.
                  Thanks, I was really just trying to check the correct nomenclature so that my Google searches don't turn up blank.

So just to summarise and ignoring the effect of Brexit for now, need an EC sales list; need to account for VAT reverse charging scheme; pay tax in the UK as normal.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X