• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consequences of leaving a contract signed before start date ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consequences of leaving a contract signed before start date ?

Hi all

I believe its difficult to answer the question without the specific contract details but please let me know your experience

I've signed a new contract and haven't started work yet
    Notice period is 2 weeks

I won't be able to take up work because of personal reasons

The client has done some basic employee screening via third party company

Will there be any legal issues or I would need to pay out?

Please let me know

Regards

Originally posted by Zsat01 View Post
    Hi all

I believe its difficult to answer the question without the specific contract details but please let me know your experience

Notice period is 2 weeks

Please let me know

Regards
    They would have had to pay the screening costs if you passed or failed them so that's actually irrelevant here.

Just send them your apologies with an explanation of your reason and that will be the end of it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Give notice now. You could always plead force majeur. (Like a tickly cough, loss of sense of smell... ). If you're not due to start for 2 weeks, then there isn't an issue. If you're due to start in a week, then the absolutely most the agency could claim they've lost is that one week's income. Which probably won't be worth it. You could also offer a substitute, or get a lawyer to argue that the notice period doesn't kick in until the contract has started.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        They would have had to pay the screening costs if you passed or failed them so that's actually irrelevant here.

Just send them your apologies with an explanation of your reason and that will be the end of it.
        Thank you for the quick reply on a Sunday morning

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Give notice now. You could always plead force majeur. (Like a tickly cough, loss of sense of smell... ). If you're not due to start for 2 weeks, then there isn't an issue. If you're due to start in a week, then the absolutely most the agency could claim they've lost is that one week's income. Which probably won't be worth it. You could also offer a substitute, or get a lawyer to argue that the notice period doesn't kick in until the contract has started.
          Thank you for the quick reply

Comment

I've quit a contract on the day I've started (turned up, realised I'd made a mistake) and on the Friday before a Monday start (got a better offer).

In both cases the agents were a bit narked but they didn't enforce any penalties. For the gig where I quit on Day 1 I offered to forfeit payment for that day, which was accepted.

You're a couple of weeks away from starting so I don't see any issues. Lots can change on a daily basis at the moment and you'd be dropped like a hot potato with no recourse if the clients circumstances changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zsat01 View Post
              Hi all

Notice period is 2 weeks

Please let me know

Regards
              A polite email saying “due to personal reasons blah blah blah I am now unable to accept this contract”

Don’t tell them it’s because you got a better offer (in 99% of cases people do this)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Lots can change on a daily basis at the moment and you'd be dropped like a hot potato with no recourse if the clients circumstances changed.
                This times a million. Politely decline and move on with life.

Comment

I don't see a big problem here. A genuine explanation and apology will nark the agency but they have seen it a thousand times before. I quit a gig on the morning of the third day. I went in to work and explained to the client that the gig simply wasn't what I did and I couldn't deliver it in the way I would wish. They thanked me for my honesty, wished me all the best and even signed a timesheet for two days which was very generous of them. The straight and honest way is always the best.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I've quit a contract on the day I've started (turned up, realised I'd made a mistake) and on the Friday before a Monday start (got a better offer).

In both cases the agents were a bit narked but they didn't enforce any penalties. For the gig where I quit on Day 1 I offered to forfeit payment for that day, which was accepted.

You're a couple of weeks away from starting so I don't see any issues. Lots can change on a daily basis at the moment and you'd be dropped like a hot potato with no recourse if the clients circumstances changed.
                    Yeah. Did that at the Skipton once. The role was nothing like the interview. On the way home phoned agent and said nope, not for me. To be fair they were ok and said I might not get paid but, as Id done no work, just reading and a few meetings, said I wouldnt be billing anyway.

By the end of the week Id got another role paying better that lasted over 20 months in my favourite city.

Comment

Working...
                    X