• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL alternative?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rascal View Post
    There are no unusual circumstances. The company had ample retained profit to pay salary and dividends, but the accountant advised most expenses are only allowed if they relate to trading, and the company stops trading from the point it stops generating income.

They also advised that an employer pension contribution could not exceed operating profit in the year the contribution was made, otherwise the excess would be disallowed for corporation tax.

So if the OP was using the same accountant as myself, they would presumably be advised that they should not take a salary, would not be able to make employer pension contributions (as there would be no operating profit), but could continue taking dividends (which come from retained profit).
    Wow. Local accountant?
    Have you asked for a second opinion from someone else in the same practise?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Wow. Local accountant?
      I'd be changing accountant...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Wow. Local accountant?
        No actually - they work for a well-known firm of accountants specializing in IT contractors.

The point I'm wishing to make is that simply asking your accountant doesn't always get you the best advice. There seems to be a lot of room for "interpretation" of the accounting standards, whereas I think it should be fairly clear-cut what you can and can't do in any particular situation.

I'd like to know if the advice regarding expenses is actually true, as I would have liked to continue taking a salary and buying some pieces of equipment, like a new laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          It wasn't pointless - it would have allowed him to extract the money for himself and then he could have used it to lend a new (second) company money to purchases the BTL properties he continually is trying to extract money out of.

If he had done things sensible in the first place all the income from those properties would be tax free (up to the point the original loans from him to the company had been repaid).

However, he didn't do that so is now testing any hare brained scheme he can come up with to see if it will work - and the last one has a humdinger that he missed for he isn't as bright as he thinks he is.
          Yes indeed but what I meant his advice on wishing he'd taken MVL was pointless as his situation is completely different. I maybe should have said irrelevant. But +1 to the rest.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No actually - they work for a well-known firm of accountants specializing in IT contractors.

The point I'm wishing to make is that simply asking your accountant doesn't always get you the best advice. There seems to be a lot of room for "interpretation" of the accounting standards, whereas I think it should be fairly clear-cut what you can and can't do in any particular situation.

I'd like to know if the advice regarding expenses is actually true, as I would have liked to continue taking a salary and buying some pieces of equipment, like a new laptop.
            I think buying pieces of equipment such as a laptop for a business you are running down is a bit on the iffy side. Yes you might need a laptop to carry out your basic directors duties but that's a bit thin
            and it's not going to look great if you are buying business equipment when you are not actually doing any more business. Don't let the tax tail wag the dog. It's not free at the end of the day, just discounted.

I do think the salary is justfiable as your duties as a director don't go away and it's only 9k a year. Sounds fine to me that.

But, as a rule of thumb, if you are approaching a situation that is a bit wooly with no clear answer, don't take the piss.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OOK, you went from this:

People here are always saying speak to your accountant.
              Well, my accountant said I shouldn't be drawing a salary if the company isn't trading i.e. company has no revenue due to me being out of contract.
              I'll be interested to see what the comments in this thread have to say about it.
              To this:

There are no unusual circumstances. The company had ample retained profit to pay salary and dividends, but the accountant advised most expenses are only allowed if they relate to trading, and the company stops trading from the point it stops generating income.

They also advised that an employer pension contribution could not exceed operating profit in the year the contribution was made, otherwise the excess would be disallowed for corporation tax.

So if the OP was using the same accountant as myself, they would presumably be advised that they should not take a salary, would not be able to make employer pension contributions (as there would be no operating profit), but could continue taking dividends (which come from retained profit).
              Spot the difference?
              Salary is not the same as salary + dividends + pension + expenses.

Now, do you know the difference between a company that has ceased trading and one where it does not currently have an active contract?
              If the company has ceased trading, then it should not be incurring any expenses apart from those required to keep it ticking over - e.g. accountant, etc.
              If the company is just "between contracts", then it can continue to incur expenses related to it getting business, and continue to pay salaries, etc. BUT, an accountant who can see the company's books may advise for reducing outgoings particularly if they feel there are not enough funds to pay VAT & CT bills, etc.

So, sometimes the accountant answers the question you asked but that wasn't the question you meant, and sometimes the advice you get on an internet forum is based on the limited information and words you post.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

@WTFH are you sure that a company ceases trading when it doesn't have a contract.

Surely to actually cease trading requires a formal decision...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

@WTFH are you sure that a company ceases trading when it doesn't have a contract.

This ^^^^^
                  and there are rules around that decision and what HMRC consider to be reasonable.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

That's what I mean - HE talked about his company stopping trading (i.e. ceasing trading) and HE says that's the same as not having a contract.

A company ceases trading when it makes the formal decision to. My concern is that he has asked his accountant using the term "stopped" or "ceased" trading, when he just means he's not got a contract.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      That's what I mean - HE talked about his company stopping trading (i.e. ceasing trading) and HE says that's the same as not having a contract.

A company ceases trading when it makes the formal decision to. My concern is that he has asked his accountant using the term "stopped" or "ceased" trading, when he just means he's not got a contract.
                      I think you have read too much between the lines of my post. I never asked the accountant the question you implied.

It was the accountant who described the company as having "stopped trading" when it is not generating any income i.e without a contract.

"Ceased trading" was never mentioned and requires a formal decision to wind down the company.

Comment

Working...
                      X