• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

Hi. I’m after some advice. I have a client, where it has come to light that they are doing some illegal business. In order to report them to their governing body, how does GDPR work with regards to disclosing their name and details to this governing body? Thanks

Originally posted by Contractpf View Post
    Hi. I’m after some advice. I have a client, where it has come to light that they are doing some illegal business. In order to report them to their governing body, how does GDPR work with regards to disclosing their name and details to this governing body? Thanks
    It's a company, GDPR relates to individuals even then does not override business requirements / needs. So just report it
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why do you think GDPR has anything to do with this regardless of Eek pointing the situation out to you?

If you've got GDPR wrong are you absolutely sure you haven't gotten anything else wrong? Are you sure you want to go down this route?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 22 November 2020, 22:39.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

some reading here Whistleblowing for employees - GOV.UK

You might count as an agency worker, but I suspect not.
        So this may well not apply.
        I for one, even if I was through an agency and hadn't opted out, wouldn't want to rely on that status to protect me.

You're also going to need to provide evidence. That evidence is likely to going to have to be stolen by you.

Is it really worth it?
        Are they selling arms to sanctioned governments?
        Or something else morally repugnant? If so then a journalist might be of use.

If this is just trivial nonsense then you should keep your business hat on and consider it none of your business. IMO.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          some reading here Whistleblowing for employees - GOV.UK

You might count as an agency worker, but I suspect not.
          So this may well not apply.
          I for one, even if I was through an agency and hadn't opted out, wouldn't want to rely on that status to protect me.

You're also going to need to provide evidence. That evidence is likely to going to have to be stolen by you.

Is it really worth it?
          Are they selling arms to sanctioned governments?
          Or something else morally repugnant? If so then a journalist might be of use.

If this is just trivial nonsense then you should keep your business hat on and consider it none of your business. IMO.
          Yes, think very carefully about it. A friend of mine ended up getting badly burned career wise after whistleblowing on her employer at the time. In the grand scheme of things, the matter wasn't so great like busting sanctions as mentioned above but she ended up leaving her field of work entirely. There have been cases featured in the media where whistleblowers have ended up coming under tremendous stress and ended up being ostracised in their industry.

This link from a law firm gives another view - things to consider if you want to go down this route. Top 10 Whistleblowing Tips | Slater + Gordon

Comment

You should get legal advice at this point. You may have some liability if you don't do anything. You have also posted on a public website about it.
            But as alluded to the fact you can't read and interpret the legal text of gdpr correctly means you might not have read this situation correctly either.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractpf View Post
              This is a real can of worms. How do you know what they are doing is 'illegal,' on sufficient scale to make it a real injustice or criminal activity or, just something you consider to be illegal going off your personal moral compass?

If you are working in the chain of this illegal activity, you could be complicit yourself. 'I was just following orders' doesnt wash.

Personally, if it was me and I had deep concerns what the client was doing was illegal on a grand scale, Id rather leave the role (even in these times) than get involved in what will inevitably turn into a tulipstorm.

Comment

Tip off the authorities anonymously so it doesn’t come back to you. But keep the evidence that it was you in case you need it. Chances are the authorities won’t follow up.

Comment

Working...
                X