• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions/drawdown etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions/drawdown etc

OK. Getting to that age now.... Yeh really.

At 55, I can withdraw 25% tax free yeh? BUT, after you've done this there are limits as to how much you can contribute.

I've currently got a SIPP, one or two other old pensions, and a current one via the umbrella. If I drawdown on part of the SIPP does this affect how much I can contribute to the others?

Surely this must the case? Otherwise you could draw down on one SIPP and then just open another one to avoid contribution limits?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

You can draw your 25% and it won't trigger money purchase annual allowance (MPAA). Take even 1p more than the 25% and the MPAA is triggered.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Money Purchase Annual Allowance (MPAA) - Money Advice Service

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          You can draw your 25% and it won't trigger money purchase annual allowance (MPAA). Take even 1p more than the 25% and the MPAA is triggered.
          ... unless you can make use of the Small Pots rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
            wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
              You can only do that three times and each time it is limited to £10,000. As per normal drawdown, £25% of it is tax free with the rest taxed at your marginal income tax rate.

Comment

OK. Say for the sake of argument I've got 3 old pensions, 1 SIPP with nothing going in, and one active pension with loads going it. Can I take 25% out of each?

For the SIPP, nothing else is ever likely to go in there. Can I take more than 25% or are we getting into the territory of paying tax then? Since I'm still working....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  OK. Say for the sake of argument I've got 3 old pensions, 1 SIPP with nothing going in, and one active pension with loads going it. Can I take 25% out of each?

For the SIPP, nothing else is ever likely to go in there. Can I take more than 25% or are we getting into the territory of paying tax then? Since I'm still working....
                  1 Yes.

2 Yes you can, but it triggers the MPAA that you alluded to in your first post. If you intended paying more into any SIPP, you really mustn't trigger MPAA.

Comment

I cannot find anything that points to the 25% trigger for MPAA.
                    I'm sure you're right but where do I find it?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X