• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses via PSC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    What do you mean, they provide a test environment? If I am developing software for a mobile device - I have to make sure it works on actual devices. Simulators are NOT the same (although these can also be used for testing).
    So exactly how many different android phones are you going to buy?

Even large firms use simulators as they can't manage to test all the variations.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Even large firms use simulators as they can't manage to test all the variations.
      It's been 5+ years since I have developed for it but I remember writing software for iPad and the simulator sucked. Would have issues on iPad that didn't occur on the simulator. Performance was not the same.

Comment

As many as required?

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Any large firm that wants to properly support all devices WILL NOT use simulators because they are just that - simulators. They are fine for development but are not suitable for testing the end product. And yes - they will have every type of device available for the testing team, sometimes going back 5-6 years. I have had plenty of experiences where something would work on a simulator but not on the actual device (yes I am talking about browserstack) and the other way round. And also had a lot of joy debugging issues that occured on some random version of IOS however if the marketing team sees that there are sales going through with that device then software must work for that device.
        Last edited by cannon999; 28 November 2020, 12:19.

Comment

As many as required?

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Any large firm that wants to properly support all devices WILL NOT use simulators because they are just that - simulators. They are fine for development but are not suitable for testing the end product. And yes - they will have every type of device available for the testing team, sometimes going back 5-6 years. I have had plenty of experiences where something would work on a simulator but not on the actual device (yes I am talking about browserstack) and the other way round. And also had a lot of joy debugging issues that occured on some random version of IOS however if the marketing team sees that there are sales going through with that device then software must work for that device.
          Well the only person talking about app development is you - everyone else was talking about a mobile phone for using it to take phone calls.

Comment

Well the only person talking about app development is you - everyone else was talking about a mobile phone for using it to take phone calls.
            I am just explaining how pretty much any IT contractor can very easily explain a purchase of a mobile device.

Comment

I am just explaining how pretty much any IT contractor can very easily explain a purchase of a mobile device.
              Nope a very limited proportion of IT contractors could use that justification (most people here aren't mobile developers) and even then they would need to demonstrate a need for it.

Comment

Nope a very limited proportion of IT contractors could use that justification (most people here aren't mobile developers) and even then they would need to demonstrate a need for it.
                Don't have to be a mobile developer. Just have to write software for web. All websites must work on mobile devices nowadays.

Comment

Don't have to be a mobile developer. Just have to write software for web. All websites must work on mobile devices nowadays.
                  Not every contractor writes software for the web.

And even if they do they don't necessarily do stuff that is directly related to the user interface.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Not every contractor writes software for the web..
                    I'd argue it's actually a fairly low percentage so cannon is a bit of the mark here. He's not making a very good catchall argument... which is the problem with catchall arguments.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X