• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and Multiple clients at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and Multiple clients at the same time

Hi,

I have a general question which might sound stupid to some...

I have ltd company through which I do IT contracting currently. With IR35 coming soon, I was wondering how does it impacts me if I am able to provide my services to more than one client at the same time - though with a twist?

Let me explain what I mean by that ..

I do invest in properties on a personal level and have built a good network of people and knowledge in a particular sector where I regularly invest, and have helped a number of my friends in investing their money. Now I plan to sell this as a service .. kind of advisory or consultation service where i help other clients get on the investment property ladder without directly getting involved in their financial transactions or legal process of buying the properties or even conveyancing for that matter.

I plan to find them prospective properties, and help them throughtout the process from finding the property to purchasing it to refurbishing it to putting it on rent. How, by using my network of tradesmen and my personal knowledge that i have built over years.

I plan to charge my clients a flat feel for this service, and I have been thinking if i can invoice them for this time of mine through my IT company. Essentaially, I plan to charge them for my time and using my network to get their work done - which can be categorised as a consultancy service .. though not IT.

I realise I may have to add another general type of SIC code to the company to do this .. and the only reason I am even considering this is if it helps with IR35 status at a later date by having multiple clients at the same time .. though i am not 100% sure of this.

Any thoughts please?
    Last edited by myself01; 27 November 2020, 13:40. Reason: IR35, Property

Once again and for the millionth time - multiple clients has nothing to do with IR35 - IR35 relates to the relationship you have with the end client for that particular contract.

And come April the person determining whether the contract is inside or outside IR35 won't be the contractor it will be the end client.
    Last edited by eek; 27 November 2020, 14:47.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks a lot for clarifying that to me Sir .. your one statement helped clear my mind once for all.

Kind Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        And come April the person determining whether the contract is inside or outside IR35 won't be the contractor it will be the end client.
        Unless the end client is a small private sector client then it remains with the contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          Unless the end client is a small private sector client then it remains with the contractor.
          Which will be what, 10% of current contracts maximum?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by myself01 View Post
            Thanks a lot for clarifying that to me Sir .. your one statement helped clear my mind once for all.

Kind Regards.
            I bet it didn't.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For now.......
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And there are two questions in the CEST that specifically asks whether the contract allows you to do work for other clients and whether you would have to ask the clients permission first that are positive indicators of an outside status using that tool.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Which will be what, 10% of current contracts maximum?
                  Could be...Which would be around 1/2 mil SME's. Probably less now in the current pandemic!

Comment

Originally posted by myself01 View Post
                    ...and the only reason I am even considering this is if it helps with IR35 status at a later date by having multiple clients at the same time .. though i am not 100% sure of this.
                    You've gotten a clear answer to your IR35 question, but this jumped out at me. Don't start new business to try avoid/reduce tax - do it because you have researched the market and have determined there is a market and money to be made.

So, if you believe you do have something special here, do it, but not because of IR35.

(personally, I'm not sure there is a market for such a service - helping friends out is one thing - getting strangers to pay for it is one huge step further)

Comment

Working...
                    X