• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about self assessment tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about self assessment tax return

I was self employed since April 2019 to October 2019 then i became a director of my own company in October 2019. Now i have to do my self assesment tax return 2019 to 2020 and i am not sure if i have to do 2 self assesment, one as self employed and another as director? Or just one?

Originally posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I was self employed since April 2019 to October 2019 then i became a director of my own company in October 2019. Now i have to do my self assesment tax return 2019 to 2020 and i am not sure if i have to do 2 self assesment, one as self employed and another as director? Or just one?
    You fill in 1 self assessment form a year and in your case you will need to fill in both the self employment and employment sections completed.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Will your accountant not do a catch up for a one off fee for you?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You fill in 1 self assessment form a year and in your case you will need to fill in both the self employment and employment sections completed.
        So there is only one form? Where i can fill in the period i was self employed and director. And i don´t need to fill in another form as director on the side? Thanks a lot

Comment

So there is only one form? Where i can fill in the period i was self employed and director. And i don´t need to fill in another form as director on the side? Thanks a lot
          get an accountant.

To move from self-employed to running a LTD., with a frankly staggering lack of knowledge of the most basic personal tax self-assessment requirements, means you really needs professional help. You won't be able to do this on your own.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

An accountant will generally either do your self assessment free or for a small fee if they also do the limited company's yearly accounts.

You will have to do your own bookkeeping for the limited company but it's a piece of piss with online bookkeeping software.

Btw what state is your self-employment bookkeeping in?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              An accountant will generally either do your self assessment free or for a small fee if they also do the limited company's yearly accounts.

You will have to do your own bookkeeping for the limited company but it's a piece of piss with online bookkeeping software.

Btw what state is your self-employment bookkeeping in?
              Even if one directors SA is in the package you'll have to pay for the first one as it includes information prior to engagement. They'll only offer free ones after a full year of engagement.

Comment

Have you had a look at the HMRC site?

Tax return for Self Assessment - GOV.UK

This page shows the paper versions of the form and the guidance notes.

You'll need to tick options 1 and 2 to show you were both a director and self-employed in the tax year in question.

If you do this online then the form will only show the relevant sections of the entire SA100 that apply to that scenario. Otherwise, read the guidance notes to verify which sections you need to complete and what information you need to include.

Or, ask an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Even if one directors SA is in the package you'll have to pay for the first one as it includes information prior to engagement. They'll only offer free ones after a full year of engagement.
                  Mine didn't when I swapped.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Mine didn't when I swapped.
                    Got a nice deal there then.

Comment

Working...
                    X