• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporation tax and Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Some do go into higher rate by choice, e.g. if withdrawing funds for personal investment / use elsewhere. Not everyone is focussed on keeping everything under a set limit and so plan their finances differently.

I will draw what I want / need from my company and if I have to pay more tax, so be it. I'm not going to refuse to live my life because it might cost me more in tax.
    Are you a 1 or 2 director company? I think this also makes a big difference. Since it's easy to imagine someone needing more than 47k or whatever their post tax take home would be some years. For 2 director husband wife company though you have to be a living a fairly lavish lifestyle to go out of basic rate. Most will even be accumulating personal savings.
    Last edited by jayn200; 5 December 2020, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Are you a 1 or 2 director company? I think this also makes a big difference. Since it's easy to imagine someone needing more than 47k or whatever their post tax take home would be some years. For 2 director husband wife company though you have to be a living a fairly lavish lifestyle to go out of basic rate. Most will even be accumulating personal savings.
      I'm solo. I have only gone into the higher bracket a few times, and never for investment I hasten to add (I just know people who have).

Quite a sweeping statement to claim that two people wanting to take home more than £47k each is a lavish lifestyle.

Comment

Quite a sweeping statement to claim that two people wanting to take home more than £47k each is a lavish lifestyle.
        Spoken like someone who has never lived in London or the SE.

Comment

"In truth, comparing the tax take from a contractor and an employee earning the same amount creates an inaccurate representation, because contractors typically charge considerably more than employees are paid. "

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          And it fails to consider that a contractor gets paid a LOT more than an equivalent permie.

Comment

I'm solo. I have only gone into the higher bracket a few times, and never for investment I hasten to add (I just know people who have).

Yeah i guess if they have big family and a couple cars might not be that lavish. I am just think about myself living in central London with no vehicle and just my wife. But yeah i guess depends on individual circumstances.

Comment

Yeah i guess if they have big family and a couple cars might not be that lavish. I am just think about myself living in central London with no vehicle and just my wife. But yeah i guess depends on individual circumstances.
              I don’t think you can describe 100k as supporting a lavish lifestyle in London, fullstop, unless we have a very different understanding of lavish.

Comment

The main reason for dividends for me was avoiding employers NI, income levelling and sharing of tax allowance with my wife. If I could have kept income levelling and lost the other two, I would not have objected to IR35. It was the insistence that the full fee (less 5%) was subject to NI that I found unwarranted.

For the last fifteen years in another tax jurisdiction, I've been able to income level. And been very glad of it during the lean years. It's that income levelling that compensates for neither sick nor holiday pay.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A little surprised that some people are angered by the article and seek to contradict it with passion alone. The belief we live in tax Shangri-la is well embedded, perhaps due to memories of early 90's London yuppie contractors avoiding tax (which was true at the time. People left my company to go contracting in London and were indeed avoiding mountains of tax, and didn't mind telling you so).

Personally I didn't become a contractor (in 2006) with the aim of avoiding tax, and was not aware of any substantial (legal) tax advantages. Nor have I bothered with tiny things like buying a webcam on expenses. No, I was attracted by the rate, experience and life style, and the fact that permy career paths weren't great for engineers. Guessing most contractors are the same. As it panned out I achieved the independent life style, but not earned more than I would in permy land, all told.

If anyone doubts the situation, please call and advise how tax can be saved. You'll get 30% of the margin per annum (all at my discretion).
                  Last edited by unixman; 5 December 2020, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    I don’t think you can describe 100k as supporting a lavish lifestyle in London, fullstop, unless we have a very different understanding of lavish.
                    It's over 8k a month.

How much do you think central London is? You can get a nice 2 bed flat for 3k a month. That leaves 5k if you don't drive where is that money going? To spend 200 a day is an extremely excessive lifestyle.

Comment

It's over 8k a month.

How much do you think central London is? You can get a nice 2 bed flat for 3k a month. That leaves 5k if you don't drive where is that money going? To spend 200 a day is an extremely excessive lifestyle.
                      You think a 2-bed flat is lavish?

Comment

Working...
                      X