• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government gateway confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government gateway confusion

I've recently been asked for an SA302 for last filed accounts. I have Self Assessment registered on the gov.uk HMRC portal but it doesn't actually seem to show me any of my past SATRs, which my accountants have filed over the years.
    It seems like the idea is I should be able to view my accounts and generate my own SA302s from HMRC but like most of the government stuff, it is generally confusing.

On top of that, I tried to add VAT as a service but it told me "this is already registered on another gateway ID". Is it possible to have all my personal and business registrations on the same account... and if I have accidentally got personal/business on two separate IDs, can I merge/port them?

It all seems like it almost works nicely, but not quite. Anyone able to give a high-level overview how it's supposed to hang together?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've recently been asked for an SA302 for last filed accounts. I have Self Assessment registered on the gov.uk HMRC portal but it doesn't actually seem to show me any of my past SATRs, which my accountants have filed over the years.
    It seems like the idea is I should be able to view my accounts and generate my own SA302s from HMRC but like most of the government stuff, it is generally confusing.

On top of that, I tried to add VAT as a service but it told me "this is already registered on another gateway ID". Is it possible to have all my personal and business registrations on the same account... and if I have accidentally got personal/business on two separate IDs, can I merge/port them?

It all seems like it almost works nicely, but not quite. Anyone able to give a high-level overview how it's supposed to hang together?
    Um, your business is a separate legal entity so will have a separate ID
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Um, your business is a separate legal entity so will have a separate ID
      Mine are all under one ID.

I have no idea why.

It could be something as simple as the phone number, email and address being used being the same for all of them.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you accountant has completed and filed your tax returns, it's likely they'll have done it via third party software so you won't have access to your SA302's online. The only way SA302's would show up on the government gateway is if it was filed on their website. To get your SA302's you can (our your accountant) can give HMRC a call and request them to be posted to you. They'll tell you that it can take up to 2 weeks to arrive.

Also, you can have everything under one login but you'll have two government gateway accounts as mentioned. One for you and one for your company it seems

Comment

Just to add to what Craig has said, your accountant can probably give you SA302s themselves, but they won't be official HMRC ones on HMRC letterhead etc. They'll be ones generated by the accountant's software. Therefore lenders typically only accept these when accompanied by the "tax year overview" that you should be able to get from the SA section of your portal login. The liability from the bottom of the SA302 should tally with the figure on the tax year overview, as evidence that the SA302 is from a return that was actually submitted. Ie minimises risk of an individual/their accountant mocking up a bogus SA return with £millions in income that they don't submit and just use for mortgage purposes, then do a much lower (and more honest) SA return that they actually submit to HMRC.

Comment

Logged in to the personal account I can see options to add business services so I tried with VAT... only to be told it is already linked to another gateway ID. Which I set up a decade ago and lost. I can't bear the idea of trying to get this sorted out on the HMRC phone support

Comment

Logged in to the personal account I can see options to add business services so I tried with VAT... only to be told it is already linked to another gateway ID. Which I set up a decade ago and lost. I can't bear the idea of trying to get this sorted out on the HMRC phone support
              I set mine up with VAT first followed by other business taxes then for some reason my self-assessment was added to the same ID.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I set mine up with VAT first followed by other business taxes then for some reason my self-assessment was added to the same ID.
                I think the systems have changed in the intervening years too, didn't it used to be HMRCOnline?

I have a bank account who do this, when I login with my business login it shows me my mortgage and credit card too, but not my current account.

Good to know we're in safe hands

Comment

I think the systems have changed in the intervening years too, didn't it used to be HMRCOnline?

I have a bank account who do this, when I login with my business login it shows me my mortgage and credit card too, but not my current account.

Good to know we're in safe hands
                  But you can add your current account as well with open banking.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X