• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Credit Card and HMRC payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Credit Card and HMRC payment

Hi All,

Anyone know if there is a way to pay HMRC with AMEX? Is paypal master debit card work? Any thoughts?

Separately, any other recommendation for company credit card other than AMEX platinum?

Thanks,
    The cat

I use Capital on Tap for uncivilised places that don't take Amex.

HMRC will accept it, for a fee.

There's a huge thread on credit cards.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...dit-cards.html

I don't think Curve have yet reconnected with Amex so I don't think there is a way to use Amex at present.

Comment

Amex with BillHop

You can use Amex with BillHop - however it has a 2.95% fee - so only really worth it if you are looking to qualify for a bonus quickly - although the fee is also classed as a valid Business Expense.

Head for points did a write up on this here:
      How to (still) pay your HMRC tax bill with a credit card

Comment

Originally posted by gizzmo View Post
        You can use Amex with BillHop - however it has a 2.95% fee - so only really worth it if you are looking to qualify for a bonus quickly - although the fee is also classed as a valid Business Expense.

Head for points did a write up on this here:
        How to (still) pay your HMRC tax bill with a credit card
        I've used Billhop once. It is expensive and you have to set it up several days in advance of when you want the payment to land as it takes a while.

Comment

One of the biggest commercial myths going, that Amex is accepted everywhere. MBNA used to do a 'companion' visa or mastercard so when the merchant refused or didnt take Amex, they could pay via the associated visa or mastercard on their amex account.

Since the sale to Lloyds who scrapped a lot of MBNA's affinity card tie ups, I dont know if they retained Amex or the companion card set up.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I use Capital on Tap for uncivilised places that don't take Amex.

HMRC will accept it, for a fee.

There's a huge thread on credit cards.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...dit-cards.html

I don't think Curve have yet reconnected with Amex so I don't think there is a way to use Amex at present.
            Capital On tap or any other card directly with HMRC will be charged 1.5% that's more than the earning rate, no? I heard they introduce fee for debit card too now.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecat View Post
              Capital On tap or any other card directly with HMRC will be charged 1.5% that's more than the earning rate, no? I heard they introduce fee for debit card too now.
              You can pay by personal debit card fee-free. That's it.

You will not find a fee-free points earning method of paying HMRC so I would expect all card payments to incur a fee in excess of the points earning rate.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                You can pay by personal debit card fee-free. That's it.

You will not find a fee-free points earning method of paying HMRC so I would expect all card payments to incur a fee in excess of the points earning rate.
                Still worth it if AMEX can be linked. but can it? people mentioned about paypal master debit card, does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecat View Post
                  Still worth it if AMEX can be linked. but can it? people mentioned about paypal master debit card, does it work?
                  Post a question in the Credit Cards thread above and see if the person who was looking at that option got away with it?

Comment

Working...
                  X