• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JRS Scheme / Payroll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JRS Scheme / Payroll

My present contract finishes soon, and I'll be back dripping into the war chest / savings. I've requested to have my account place back to inactivity to try and reduce my overheads. However, they've flatly refused to help with JRS whilst this is the case. They won't advise me on how I can do both those tasks myself. Can anyone help explain perhaps? I asked my accountant and they dodged the question altogether.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    My present contract finishes soon, and I'll be back dripping into the war chest / savings. I've requested to have my account place back to inactivity to try and reduce my overheads. However, they've flatly refused to help with JRS whilst this is the case. They won't advise me on how I can do both those tasks myself. Can anyone help explain perhaps? I asked my accountant and they dodged the question altogether.
    You buy a service for £x a year that includes complex once a year pieces of work and pay for it in 12 monthly installments. Why should they provide a discount because you aren't currently in contract?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You buy a service for £x a year that includes complex once a year pieces of work and pay for it in 12 monthly installments. Why should they provide a discount because you aren't currently in contract?
      Re-read, I'm not disputing that, I'm simply asking if/how I can do it myself. Is that a problem?

Comment

What does going into "inactivity" mean? are you going to stop paying them altogether or pay a reduce fee whilst they take care of the usual things such as VAT submission, RTI submissions, confirmation statement?

Regardless, the company will still need to make RTI submissions each month whether you have a salary in place in your company or not. Let's assume they'll continue to provide that service, they should submit your furlough figure via RTI.

Separately, you'd need to make a CJRS on HMRC's website. If they won't do that as part of their fee for free, you could always log into HMRC's government gateway account and make the claim yourself each month by the 14th of the following month.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          What does going into "inactivity" mean? are you going to stop paying them altogether or pay a reduce fee whilst they take care of the usual things such as VAT submission, RTI submissions, confirmation statement?

Regardless, the company will still need to make RTI submissions each month whether you have a salary in place in your company or not. Let's assume they'll continue to provide that service, they should submit your furlough figure via RTI.

Separately, you'd need to make a CJRS on HMRC's website. If they won't do that as part of their fee for free, you could always log into HMRC's government gateway account and make the claim yourself each month by the 14th of the following month.
          Yes, it's effectively a reduced fee whilst my business is current inactive (i.e not invoicing or transacting) charged at a 50% discount. Does your firm do similar? Although I'd still need confirmation statements filed, VAT returns / Corp tax (when applicable) processeds. As for self assessment, dunno.

Comment

Yes, it's effectively a reduced fee whilst my business is current inactive (i.e not invoicing or transacting) charged at a 50% discount. Does your firm do similar? Although I'd still need confirmation statements filed, VAT returns / Corp tax (when applicable) processeds. As for self assessment, dunno.
            Depends on your circumstances but I wouldn't rule it out but rather tailor it to your requirements. We'd be upfront and if agreed a discount, then be clear what work is involved and what is not. I can only relate to one of our clients who I have know for years who recently switched over to us. They came to us "inactive" so I agreed a 50% discount until they began contracting again where I'd raise it to the full 100%. They were happy with that and even paid us for 12 months in advance. We're not in the habit of frequently reducing and upping the fee as and when a client is in between gigs though as it becomes to cumbersome to keep track of from a business point of view if everyone started doing it. Luckily, we've not had many clients who have gone months without another contract out of choice.

Comment

Working...
            X