• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension - calculating threshold income inside IR35 (via umbrella)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension - calculating threshold income inside IR35 (via umbrella)

Apologies this may be a very basic question but I am trying to work out the threshold income, to calculate the tapered pension allowance, inside IR35.

Am I right in thinking the calculations for threshold income should be net of employer NICs?

i.e. This is the 'gross' salary then - i.e. after the umbrella has taken off employer NICs ?

Or would it be all classified as income (i.e. the gross rate multiplied by the days worked?)

Have you tried asking your umbrella?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Juninho1976 View Post
      Apologies this may be a very basic question but I am trying to work out the threshold income, to calculate the tapered pension allowance, inside IR35.

Am I right in thinking the calculations for threshold income should be net of employer NICs?

i.e. This is the 'gross' salary then - i.e. after the umbrella has taken off employer NICs ?

Or would it be all classified as income (i.e. the gross rate multiplied by the days worked?)
      I don't know. But this might give you some pointers:

The annual allowance for pensions

Comment

The person I emailed was not able to give me an answer and was not even aware (as far as I can tell) that there was a tapered allowance.

To be fair I had complicated the question I asked a little as I was including dividends i would like to pay myself - I have worked out the treatment of these now at least hence the hopefully more straightforward question above.

Edited to add: this was in response to the northernladuk response
        Last edited by Juninho1976; 23 December 2020, 19:03.

Comment

Thanks for this but sadly it doesn't answer my question.

It mentions:

"Both adjusted and threshold income include all taxable income. "

but its still not clear if my 'taxable' income should be calculated PRE Employers NIC or POST it ...

I believe it should be the latter but I'd like to be sure...

Also just to add I've also asked my limited company accountants but they could not clarify either (to be fair they're one of those contractor accountants).

Wouldn't have thought all this would be that complicated - but the article you linked to leads with the statement that all of this is so complicated!!

Might just leave it a day or two and go back to reading the gov pages or ideally call someone up there to clarify!

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
          I don't know. But this might give you some pointers:

The annual allowance for pensions

Comment

Originally posted by Juninho1976 View Post

Maybe try posting your question here (you're likely to get more expert advice than on this forum when it comes to pensions):
            Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Comment

Hi thanks ^^^^

I’ll try that!

Comment

Working...
              X