• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investments as ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investments as ltd

Hello - can someone explain how investments from my LTD look like? Shares / Crypto or whatever - how it looks? Lets say I made 100k Pounds per year. Paying myself salary + dividends its 50k to be most efficient. From what I see only salary is deductable and any other expenses - can this expenses be considered investments? So I could buy crypto / stocks for 30k - then with salary (12x730 minimal salary for example) I can write approx 40k as costs, then I pay 19% from 60k?

Investment is on LTD so if i will sell it i will have to pay tax on money made, what if I will lose and sell will it draw income of LTD down so I will pay less tax - how exactly does it look? Anyone can explain it? Thank you very much for your time in advance!!!

No an investment is not an expense.

Long story short, if you want to mess around with investments - you need to open a second company.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
      No an investment is not an expense.

Long story short, if you want to mess around with investments - you need to open a second company.
      But if you don't know the difference between a salary and an investment then maybe you'd better of shutting them all.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A lot of accountants won't handle company crypto. Check with yours first.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Second company generally for investments.
          Keep both activities VERY separate.
          It might even be better to keep the crypto stuff personally.
          Make sure you have tax investigation insurance for both companies and yourself.
          Talk to your accountant
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

There's no point in investing to save tax, it only makes sense if you have cash in the company, as you may as well earn some interest on it. You can't treat it as an expense, you can only offset losses on investments against gains in other investments and you can't take advantage of the capital gains personal allowance.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 January 2021, 13:19.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thank you for all the answers...!

Comment

Working...
              X