• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late SA payment charges from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late SA payment charges from HMRC

Despite being given a deadline of October 2020 to file my return (DR/LC etc.)., HMRC still fined me for late filing and late payment.

So I was supposed to file by Jan 31st 2020 but didn't even file (with permission) until October 2020.

HMRC then sent two demands for late payment from Jan 2020 and Aug 2020 and two for late filing.

If this happens to anyone else, give them a call and explain and they most probably will waive the late filing/payment charges, but certainly get in touch quickly. They did waive mine.
    Last edited by GregRickshaw; 8 January 2021, 10:01. Reason: Forgot to mention my personal action

Why did you take ten extra months on top of the nine you are given? If you file nineteen months after the end of the tax year something is bound to go wrong even if HMRC give you permission.

You've also gotta assume whatever HMRC say they'll screw it up so just don't give them the chance.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cool story, Bro.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why did you take ten extra months on top of the nine you are given? If you file nineteen months after the end of the tax year something is bound to go wrong even if HMRC give you permission.

You've also gotta assume whatever HMRC say they'll screw it up so just don't give them the chance.
        Indeed. Record all phone calls with HMRC. Prefereably get it in writing. Remember different departments will not talk to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Indeed. Record all phone calls with HMRC. Prefereably get it in writing. Remember different departments will not talk to each other.
          And don't leave it 19 months to file your SA

Comment

Not sure what you mean?

And don't leave it 19 months to file your SA
            Those of us in the Contractor Loan settlement phase etc., were given until October 2020 to file, given permission by HMRC.

So that was my filing deadline. HMRC then sent a late filing penalty despite them agreeing a late filing date.

Same with the payment, they gave a late payment penalty despite agreeing to file and pay late.

Called them yesterday to let them know what they had agreed and they waived the charges straight away.

I thought it might help someone.

If All I did was help someone to make snide comments, so that's something I achieved then I guess.
            Last edited by GregRickshaw; 8 January 2021, 14:08. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
              Those of us in the Contractor Loan settlement phase etc., were given until October 2020 to file, given permission by HMRC.

So that was my filing deadline. HMRC then sent a late filing penalty despite them agreeing a late filing date.

Same with the payment, they gave a late payment penalty despite agreeing to file and pay late.

Called them yesterday to let them know what they had agreed and they waived the charges straight away.

If All I did was help someone make snide comments. So that's something I achieve then I guess.
              Was the October deadline given before or after the January deadline?

Odds are it's just an automated system sending out the reminders and such, as you say a quick ring to HMRC and it's resolved, I'm not sure what the issue is?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Was the October deadline given before or after the January deadline?

Odds are it's just an automated system sending out the reminders and such, as you say a quick ring to HMRC and it's resolved, I'm not sure what the issue is?

Yes given the deadline after the January one the January was null and voided.

So I am not sure where people are getting 19 months from!?

In the eyes of HMRC I paid and submitted on time, October 2020, in the eyes of someone else at HMRC I didn't (or an automated system as you say) hence the letters.

Clearly this helps no-one

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

If All I did was help someone to make snide comments, so that's something I achieved then I guess.
                  In that case I apologise but some context might have been nice. We've a section of the forums regarding Loan schemes so if this is particularly aimed at those people it would have been better in there.

Comment

In that case I apologise but some context might have been nice. We've a section of the forums regarding Loan schemes so if this is particularly aimed at those people it would have been better in there.
                    You are a gentleman, it wasn't your comment I felt was snide it was the 'cool story bro' one... which I felt was a little uncalled for.

I agree I probably didn't give enough context and just because I understood it doesn't mean others will.

Have a good weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X