• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL question...distribution in specie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL question...distribution in specie?

Hi all...

First time poster, wondering if anyone can please help?

I am looking at doing a MVL like many contractors currently. It looks like that there are two distinct price points.

Many liquidators offer a lowest price of around £1k + disbursements + VAT which requires the contents of the company bank account to be distributed to the shareholders prior to the liquidation date, and then a distribution in specie takes place upon liquidation.

The next price option is around £2k + disbursements + VAT, and the liquidator takes control of the company bank account, distributing approx 75% of the cash upon liquidation, and the rest a couple of months later after HMRC approval. This can often take a lot longer (read about additional delays with banks currently on these forums).

Was just wondering what the pros and cons of each are as it is sometime hard to get a straight answer out of providers trying to sell their service. Do HMRC have any problems with the cheaper version?

Appreciate all your help.

You really sure you want to liquidate? No going back to LTD contracting for two years.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You really sure you want to liquidate? No going back to LTD contracting for two years.
      A bit black and white and not what the op asked.
      1. You can go back to contracting in a similar trade via LTD but be liable for a difference in tax.
      2. You can go back to contracting in a (truly) different trade.
      3. You can use an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by nzcontractor View Post
        Hi all...

First time poster, wondering if anyone can please help?

I am looking at doing a MVL like many contractors currently. It looks like that there are two distinct price points.

Many liquidators offer a lowest price of around £1k + disbursements + VAT which requires the contents of the company bank account to be distributed to the shareholders prior to the liquidation date, and then a distribution in specie takes place upon liquidation.

The next price option is around £2k + disbursements + VAT, and the liquidator takes control of the company bank account, distributing approx 75% of the cash upon liquidation, and the rest a couple of months later after HMRC approval. This can often take a lot longer (read about additional delays with banks currently on these forums).

Was just wondering what the pros and cons of each are as it is sometime hard to get a straight answer out of providers trying to sell their service. Do HMRC have any problems with the cheaper version?

Appreciate all your help.
        There are a few threads on the topic already, some quite recent. Have a look, they'll probably help you. My understanding (confirmed by what I've read and by some liquidators) is that distributions in species are fine. The specific liquidators should be able to advise whether there is something specific to your situations that might make it incompatible.

Comment

Originally posted by bcontractor View Post
          We are starting to get a trickle of people who've made a mistake MVL'sing and now reaslising they can't go back contracting for two years so worth a check point to ask.
          At least I didn't give him questionable advice so how about you FO?
          1. You can go back to contracting in a similar trade via LTD but be liable for a difference in tax.
          You sure about that? Inform HMRC and pay the tax back maybe (big maybe) but not a 'different tax'
          Last edited by northernladuk; 16 January 2021, 11:51.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            We are starting to get a trickle of people who've made a mistake MVL'sing and now reaslising they can't go back contracting for two years so worth a check point to ask.
            At least I didn't give him questionable advice so how about you FO?

You sure about that? Inform HMRC and pay the tax back maybe (big maybe) but not a 'different tax'
            There seems to be a few people suggesting that it’s OK to break the rules as long as you tell HMRC and pay the tax difference.
            Whilst this may work, I’m not sure it’s a wise strategy.
            I’m also not sure if it will work and is safe from further investigation.

On that basis, until someone provides real evidence to the contrary, I think the suggestion should to not do something that is explicitly legislated against.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              There seems to be a few people suggesting that it’s OK to break the rules as long as you tell HMRC and pay the tax difference.
              Whilst this may work, I’m not sure it’s a wise strategy.
              I’m also not sure if it will work and is safe from further investigation.

On that basis, until someone provides real evidence to the contrary, I think the suggestion should to not do something that is explicitly legislated against.
              This is far. I said it based on that information I was given by my accountant and a tax advisor.

Ultimately, whether TAAR will apply to one’s specific case, is something that one can only decide for themselves, perhaps after receiving professional advice from reputable professionals.

Some people suggest a completely black and white approach (i.e. don’t trade for two years from the last distribution), which is totally understandable and the only 100% safe option. However, life always reserves surprises and can be unpredictable.

Comment

This is far. I said it based on that information I was given by my accountant and a tax advisor.

Ultimately, whether TAAR will apply to one’s specific case, is something that one can only decide for themselves, perhaps after receiving professional advice from reputable professionals.

Some people suggest a completely black and white approach (i.e. don’t trade for two years from the last distribution), which is totally understandable and the only 100% safe option. However, life always reserves surprises and can be unpredictable.
                And we've covered a few of those surprises in the past.

The entire point is that when you MVL you need to have a good reason for why you don't expect to use another Limited company for a similar trade for 2 years.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

bcontractor has been banned pending investigation. Further details may follow. Until then, thread locked.

Edit: Unbanned. However, his advice seems, on balance, to be dodgy.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is this part true?

Comment

Working...
                    X