• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any views on potential increases to Corp Tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any views on potential increases to Corp Tax?

Seems the papers are all talking about a rise in Corp Tax to 24% in the Budget.

What do you people think will happen? is this another "scare 'em" tactic so a rise to 21% is seen as a win, or do you think he'll go for it under the cover of Covid?

Do you think he'll also increase Div Taxes as well and give us a double whammy, or would that be too much do you think?

(I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts really, I know no one actually knows what's going to happen...)

Life's unfair, things change - deal with it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have no idea but corp tax raises are usually something that would happen in a period of a relative stability/moderate growth. Raising corp taxes right now is crazy and will just shrink the economy.

The post-brexit goal should be less red tape and lower taxes. Raising corp taxes at this critical time will just drive even more business to europe and could cripple the country for years. This is an absolutely pivotal time and getting this wrong right now has massive consequences.

Comment

I fully expect there to be a rise in CT. By how much, when and whether it will be tiered to turnover/profit/no of employees/starsign on date of incorporation I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I fully expect there to be a rise in many taxes. By how much, when and whether it will be tiered to turnover/profit/no of employees/starsign on date of incorporation I have no idea.
          FTFY

Comment

Why do you guys think there will be a raise in taxes? That falls against all modern economic theory on the matter. Cut taxes, borrow and spend your way to economic growth. You don't tax your way to it. Balance the books when times are good not when they are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              FTFY
              the OP was talking about CT, don't go muddying things by claiming other taxes are available for hiking

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                I have no idea but corp tax raises are usually something that would happen in a period of a relative stability/moderate growth. Raising corp taxes right now is crazy and will just shrink the economy.

The post-brexit goal should be less red tape and lower taxes. Raising corp taxes at this critical time will just drive even more business to europe and could cripple the country for years. This is an absolutely pivotal time and getting this wrong right now has massive consequences.
                That was my thoughts initially but the chatter seems to have picked up recently, and I can see why it's easier to raise CT than IT/NIC.

Would seem to spell the end of contracting though as I can't see how it can survive Brexit, Covid, off-payroll and this all at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  Why do you guys think there will be a raise in taxes? That falls against all modern economic theory on the matter. Cut taxes, borrow and spend your way to economic growth. You don't tax your way to it. Balance the books when times are good not when they are bad.
                  You answered your own question

Look at the record to date and stop trying to apply common sense and logic.

Comment

Originally posted by DrStrange View Post
                    That was my thoughts initially but the chatter seems to have picked up recently, and I can see why it's easier to raise CT than IT/NIC.

Would seem to spell the end of contracting though as I can't see how it can survive Brexit, Covid, off-payroll and this all at the same time?
                    Why would a rise in CT end contracting?

Comment

Working...
                    X