• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Office - Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Office - Tax

Looking for some guidance - haven't been able to find anything on line.

Like many - my work is happening at home. Unlike some, there's very little space in our house - to the extent that it's not actually possible to keep out of the way of the other members of the household and have a functional work environment.

I think HMRC decided some time ago that garden cabins wouldn't be considered a business expense. And they've recently decided that a Combi van isn't a commercial vehicle.

Does anyone know what the ruling is on a converted commercial vehicle (panel van - no rear passenger seats / no windows in load area) that contains office chair, desk. power etc?

Essentially this provides a mobile office for business use - so the conversion + office kit + base van would be a business investment.

Any thoughts?

Mobile homes with laptop space aren't acceptable, but I would have thought something like this might be:

Mobile Office Vans - Total Van Solutions Northern Ireland

The point is that they must be solely for business use - any hint of a bed and you'd be stuffed.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Mobile homes with laptop space aren't acceptable, but I would have thought something like this might be:

Mobile Office Vans - Total Van Solutions Northern Ireland

The point is that they must be solely for business use - any hint of a bed and you'd be stuffed.
      Don't forget proper sign-writing

Comment

Originally posted by ProgMgr View Post
        Looking for some guidance - haven't been able to find anything on line.

Like many - my work is happening at home. Unlike some, there's very little space in our house - to the extent that it's not actually possible to keep out of the way of the other members of the household and have a functional work environment.

I think HMRC decided some time ago that garden cabins wouldn't be considered a business expense. And they've recently decided that a Combi van isn't a commercial vehicle.

Does anyone know what the ruling is on a converted commercial vehicle (panel van - no rear passenger seats / no windows in load area) that contains office chair, desk. power etc?

Essentially this provides a mobile office for business use - so the conversion + office kit + base van would be a business investment.

Any thoughts?
        My thoughts would be that a shed with power and heating would cost less than a van kitted as you describe. Even after any tax benefits have been considered.
        Get some roofing insulation from B&Q and stick to the walls and roof of the shed and you're sorted.

Or a caravan if you actually need mobility.. This one will likely cost less than a shed.

Less likely to get nicked as well. And won't need MOT, tax and insurance.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I would treat this in the same way you'd treat providing any other kind of working space at home, whether that's in a spare room, a garden studio or a converted vehicle, which is:

* Treat all costs of conversion/decorating/building work etc. as a personal cost.
          * Let the company pay for the stuff that is actual business equipment/office furniture - your desk, chair etc.

Trying to put the costs of the former through the business runs the risk of being treated as a BIK and its unlikely to qualify for capital allowances or full VAT reclaims so its just not worth it.

Comment

Much as I thought...

Thanks for your replies everyone - pretty much as I expected. Interesting to see the company in N.Ireland offering exactly the conversion I'm considering.

However...a mouldy old caravan might just do the trick.

Comment

Working...
            X