• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign Guidelines after signed contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign Guidelines after signed contract

Hello All,
    So I've signed a contract via an agency to a very large firm in UAE, simple small contract. I've been onboarded and started work a few days ago, this very large company then emailed me their guidelines, which covers usual stuff like IP, etc, I don't have an issue with that, but there are some very limiting clauses in it (plus the fact its called Guidelines is odd). Short illiterate interpretation of the clause I have an issue with is; "You can't do any work for anyone in an area we cover or MIGHT cover in the future" (the document is confidential so I don't really want to paste the actual wording). (further to this the client says this only applies to the Middle East not the world (even tho it is not specified))

I queried this with the agent and he said everyone else has signed, everyone always signs and no-one has ever queried before. None of those answers really make any difference to me, I'm now thinking of getting a real solicitor to review the document BUT this is not going to be a cheap exercise.

So mainly has anyone come across this before?, or something similar, if these "guidelines" had been sent before the contract was signed I would have not signed (too limiting). looking for friendly advice?

PS. If you view my post history you'll see lots of chats about IR35, if you want to know (probably not) my solution is from April I (as in "me" not my employees) am doing 0 UK work and only offshore contracts which actually pay better and are defined as outside IR35 (I have this specified in the contract).

Regards
    Last edited by pauljh; 20 January 2021, 15:20.

edit the document, remove the clause (print of and line through and initial) and sign that one?

Comment

Box ticking exercise Tick it and forget about it

They won’t hold you to it, someone years ago had it added and no one will know why, but if you try to get it changed it will delay and cost

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by pauljh View Post
        everyone else has signed, everyone always signs and no-one has ever queried before.
        they always say this

Just sign it. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

Caveat: IANAL and know even less about Middle East law (Halal and haram is as far as I got).
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!.

Comment

Working...
          X