• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest thinking on business banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a comment about Mettle. Perhaps they have improved, but middle of last year I gave up trying to open an account with them. Their security system seemed non-fit for purpose. I kept getting requests from different Mettle operators for ID. Driving licence and passport provided multiple times. I had a brand new company set up for a new side hustle but they kept requesting invoices for prior trade. They seemed incapable of understanding that a new business had no previous invoices. I sent them a copy of a contract, a direct B2B contract with a company in the EU. They just didn't seem to understand that I was setting up a new UK based business with a couple of overseas clients. In the end, it got too difficult and I gave up. I opened a borderless account with Transfer Wise as recommended here and it works great.

Perhaps Mettle have got their act together now?
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 22 January 2021, 11:02.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Ah. I get you

Still no answer from Starling (day 3) - maybe I'm going to get blown out.
      That said, according to their web site there are delays due to high demand on business accounts, so maybe a glimmer of hope. It's my preferred choice but thanks to the responses on here, there are a couple of back up options.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Maslins has a business bank account with Monzo. Mainly got it for the sharing facility (3 staff members can all make payments from it), and it works great. Admittedly it is, at least for now, a secondary account, but gets thumbs up from me.

With MVL Online hat on we have to deal with a lot of banks. Ones we have the best experiences with are Barclays, Cater Allen, Starling. Ones we have the worst experiences with are HSBC, Tide, Santander. Obviously putting your company into liquidation is a rare thing, but in all cases we're dealing with their customer service departments, so I'd rate those as good/poor respectively for the banks mentioned in this para.
        I thought Santander and Cater Allen were largely the same thing? Is this no longer the case or only certain aspects and the ability to deal with MVL's is not one of the combined parts?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I thought Santander and Cater Allen were largely the same thing? Is this no longer the case or only certain aspects and the ability to deal with MVL's is not one of the combined parts?
          Santander own Cater Allen, but that's it.
          Cater Allen don't even share the same regulator number.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...ber%202019.pdf
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Santander own Cater Allen, but that's it.
            Cater Allen don't even share the same regulator number.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...ber%202019.pdf
            Ah. I remember Cater Allens services was abysmal at one point and that was the same year I think Santander won the wooden spoon for customer service. I'm sure someone said on here those teams/processes were the same and just rebranded. Bit like Tesco Mobile and O2 thing.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Starling came through this morning, so all sorted. Thanks.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Oh. You do know that the rules changed don't you?
                Even with FSCS protection you can still be 'haircut'. Like what happened to Cyprus banking.
                Linky?

Not sure that's correct. In terms of your example, were they even protected under the FSCS? More like the European Deposit Protection Scheme? Always something to be wary of as a UK depositor. Also, wasn't the haircut for depositors above the EDPS amount of 100k euros?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  Starling came through this morning, so all sorted. Thanks.
                  Can't complain about them. Hassle free, FSCS protected, good FA integration (pushes, rather than pulls, so updates are quicker too).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Ah. I remember Cater Allens services was abysmal at one point and that was the same year I think Santander won the wooden spoon for customer service. I'm sure someone said on here those teams/processes were the same and just rebranded. Bit like Tesco Mobile and O2 thing.
                    I think they are in the same call centre and just sit next to each other. They use different IT AFAIK though.

Comment

coconut

I just got email from Coconut bank telling me they are removing the free business banking option at end of Feb...not sure what to do..anyone else in same boat? Are you staying or transferring away and why?

Comment

Working...
                      X