• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing Reserves

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing Reserves

Hi All - found a few threads on this, but years old - with advice based on outdated rules/tax laws.

1) I have reserves in my company account that I am not thinking about investing through the company.
    2) I am 32, have a chunk of personal funds invested in ISA, funds and SIPP. I know SIPP is the most tax effective way to go, but I don't want to put any more into it due to age of access.
    3) I've come across the below illustration from an accountant - but I disagree based on i) I would not withdraw any excess that would incur 32.5% dividend tax (unless needed) - so my view is invest the chunk doing nothing, to grow the capital. You could say you are deferring tax (i.e. you will incur 20% tax (either Corp tax or CG I'm not clear but doesn't matter as both 20%) - but the point is that you are investing and hope to grow the sum.

I've read bits on how this may affect relief on winding up the company - which I've not au fait on, does it depend on the ratio of investment vs annual sales?

If the company invests £10k, there’s no tax relief on the initial investment and so the amount invested is £10k. You hold onto this for 10 years, achieving compound growth of 8%, as planned, and sell the shares for £21,589 (10,000 x 1.08^10). Now the company has a chargeable gain of £11,589 (£21,589 proceeds less £10,000 cost) which will be taxed at 19%, increasing your corporation tax liability in that year by £2,201 and leaving the company with £19,388 from the investment proceeds. Next, you need to get these profits out of the limited company, so pay a dividend for the full amount after having paid corporation tax (£19,388) and are taxed at 32.5% on it (£6,301). This leaves you with just £13,087 in your pocket.

On the other hand, if your limited company paid a dividend of £10k now, and you invested the post-tax distribution – you would have £6,750 to invest after 32.5% dividend tax (sounds bad but keep reading!). You invest the £6,750 in the same stock as you would have done from the company, apply the same growth in the same way (6750 x 1.08^10) and you sell it in 10 years’ time for £14,572. Gains on personally held investments are subject to capital gains tax on any profits (proceeds less cost) in excess of the annual exemption (£12,000) at 10% for basic rate taxpayers or 20% for higher rate taxpayers (with an 8% premium if the asset is residential property). The gain in this case is £7,822, and therefore below the annual exemption and so no additional tax would be due, meaning that the taxpayer is better off by £1,485 by investing the money personally vs through the limited company.

Many thanks

1) savings account. Bad return but simple and less likely to become problematic later. As you've already realised. It's not worth it. Just pay the tax, use a pension, or accept a tulipty rate from a savings bank.
    2) Pensions are best invested in as early as possible for the compound interest. It is also the MOST tax efficient and when the tax breaks disappear in the next few years (which they will, some of them anyway) you'll wish you'd done it.
    3) Your accountant is right from what I read. And if you pay less than 32.5% then it';s even better to do as he suggests.

PS. 8%???? Anything that claims 8% growth is by definition risky. So factor in losses as well.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

thanks for the reply.

Thats just from an accountant on google - my accountant seems to be suggesting I do it.

I just want to understand how investing, say, in a HL business account, into funds, would be problematic down the line, if I keep it as small % to income?

Savings accounts are basically 0, I've already moved away from this with my own dabbles in HL platform and funds over the last 2 years, with good success (so far) so seems I should either do this via the company or invest more personal sums (I still have a chunk doing nothing in my name from inheritance - but I've only been investing conservatively due to the risk/ while I've monitored funds.

Totally get the pension recommendation (didn't know the benefits would reduce? surely not? as lack of pensions is a key issue?) but I'm 32, will want the money before I'm 60 odd, and probably won't live that long.

So in terms of investing, say 20k in a HL business account, what are the implications?
      1) 20% tax on growth?
      2) div tax to withdraw (As it would be now)
      3) CIC point/ consideration when winding the company - what is this? Just keep under 20% ratio?

I guess your debating savings account vs. stock market - rather than which vehicle to invest in. As mentioned above, I've already moved from previous approach of NO RISK TAKEN and locking into savings account, to dabbling on the stock market - its more a case of what to do with business reserves, and why not 'gamble' investing this which is slightly more risk free that the inheritance money (from the perspective of its stuck in the company as I don't want to incur 32.5% / don't need to so why not try and grow it?)

Comment

Hi All - found a few threads on this, but years old - with advice based on outdated rules/tax laws.[/quote]

Not much has changed and no golden eggs have appeared in the meantime I am afraid.

but I don't want to put any more into it due to age of access.
        I wonder how many people approaching retirement age said the same and are now bitterly regretting it as pension age approaches.

Remember you'll pay tax on your gains on investments as well so factor that in.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Taking the money out of the company seems to me to be far and away the best option. For all the reasons that Lance and your accountant mentions.

In addition....I can see a multitude of reasons why you'd want shot of your limited company but not to liquidate your investments.

For all the complaints, the UK still has some of the most generous personal annual allowances going.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Hi All - found a few threads on this, but years old - with advice based on outdated rules/tax laws.
            Not much has changed and no golden eggs have appeared in the meantime I am afraid.

I wonder how many people approaching retirement age said the same and are now bitterly regretting it as pension age approaches.

Remember you'll pay tax on your gains on investments as well so factor that in.[/QUOTE]

Understood - but 1) I don't anticipate living that long and 2) any investments/money will be needed for property in the future i.e. my current flat isn't 'endgame'

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
              Taking the money out of the company seems to me to be far and away the best option. For all the reasons that Lance and your accountant mentions.

In addition....I can see a multitude of reasons why you'd want shot of your limited company but not to liquidate your investments.

For all the complaints, the UK still has some of the most generous personal annual allowances going.
              I'm still struggling to see this angle.

I have some money personally invested, some personal money doing nothing, and a large chunk of money on the company.

Instead of paying 32.5% dividend tax when its not needed, I don't see the 'cons' of investing it directly from the business. Yes you incur 20% tax of an increased sum (vs. its sat in a current account doing nothing, so 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing). Yes, theres dividend tax to withdraw (but again I would incur this now to personally invest).

Liquidating the company is something I want to know more about - but given I've only been doing this 3 years, and reading the 'doom thread' many people are leaving the companies open when taking inside of FTC jobs, so closing the company *shouldn't* be something I would like to do (although not sure if I should keep open if I were to go perm - but thats another question/topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractNewbie18 View Post

I have some money personally invested, some personal money doing nothing, and a large chunk of money on the company.

Instead of paying 32.5% dividend tax when its not needed, I don't see the 'cons' of investing it directly from the business. Yes you incur 20% tax of an increased sum (vs. its sat in a current account doing nothing, so 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing). Yes, theres dividend tax to withdraw (but again I would incur this now to personally invest).
                But then you pay the tax when getting it out of the company in the long term as well so any gains are effectively double taxed. It's a balance between trickling it out, some of it at a higher rate vs leave it in the company and your last divi is so big it all get's taxed at max amount.
                Liquidating the company is something I want to know more about - but given I've only been doing this 3 years, and reading the 'doom thread' many people are leaving the companies open when taking inside of FTC jobs, so closing the company *shouldn't* be something I would like to do (although not sure if I should keep open if I were to go perm - but thats another question/topic.
                If you are going to keep contracting then keep the company. Inside gigs and FTCs are just short term gigs in a contracting career. It doesn't mean you should shut the company down.

One thing to be mindful is to keep your warchest ringfenced. Investments can go down as well as up and could also get locked in. Keep a couple of months of living as cash in the bank if you ever need it. It might be frustrating to see 30+k sitting there doing nothing but that's your slush for a rainy day and contacting can get very rainy. I've always pushed warchests but even more so now I did a 6 month bench stint out of the blue. It was, quite literally, a life saver. It wasn't worth the risk messing with it just for a few percent gains when it's so important, particularly in the current climate. Mess with your warchest at your peril. Invest away with anything above and beyond your warchest and current liabilities.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 26 January 2021, 14:04.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You mention 20% tax, and in the next sentence dividend tax.
                  You need to sort your tax understanding out if you're intent on ignoring your accountant's advice.

You also need to have a clear view of your goals, and the options of how to get there. It's not guaranteed that you'll be able to continue contracting. You are a newbie after all. If you have to take a permie job how does that affect your route to those goals?
                  What if you do live longer than you think?
                  What will you want to leave your dependants? If you don't have any, do you forsee that you might get some?
                  Having the money invested by the company is probably the single biggest reduction in flexibility for all options. It works in some scenarios but not the majority.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I don't invest in anything that I'm not happy to hold for 5 years but I keep a large warchest. I view my investments with a far longer timeframe than I do my company. Just personal circumstance. I'd hate to find myself in a position where I no longer need my company but felt I had to continue to incur the costs and hassle of running it just because it is the shelter for my investments.

Personally, I'd be pulling enough to fully max out a SIPP and ISA before even looking at company-held investments.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 31 May 2021, 16:48.

Comment

Working...
                    X