• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsistence

Hi all, would I be right in saying that when claiming subsistence, you include the travelling time? For example, I live in havant and for the first month or so will be commuting into London Waterloo, making my day about 11 hours including travelling. Does this mean I can claim the £15 per day subsistence?

Only if you have spent £15. This has been covered a few times in the past.

Read this thread.

And This one

Comment

My train ticket will be more than £25 per day, I was under the impression I could submit that as a schedule E expense claim, so would that not satisfy the subsistence claim aswell?

Comment

"My train ticket will be more than £25 per day, I was under the impression I could submit that as a schedule E expense claim, so would that not satisfy the subsistence claim as well?"

You have the receipt (Train Ticket) to prove you had a travel expense, so claim it.

What makes you think you can claim £15 subsistence without a receipt? Are you with an umbrella company?

The golden rule, I believe is

If you spent £15 (and it is a genuine business expense) claim it. If not, there may be trouble ahead.....

Comment

I didn't think I could claim anything without a receipt, that's not what I was saying. As much as I hate the way this government squanders my tax dollars, I'm not in the business of trying to cheat the b'stards. I was just asking for a bit of clarification and help as to what constituted subsistence. And yes, I am with an umbrella company for the time being.

Comment

“making my day about 11 hours including travelling”

Umbrella companies work this way, in that if you are at a temporary workplace and work more than 10 hours then you can claim a dinner, the hours I believe are made up of Travelling time, lunch and the working day (Lunch being of a reasonable time say an hour).

"I was just asking for a bit of clarification and help as to what constituted subsistence."

Lunch and dinner, it doesn't really matter about the cost of the subsistence (but the receipt does), it is whether the expense is allowable or not that really matters.

Comment

Working...
            X