• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new home "office"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new home "office"

thought I would air this on the board before embarassing myself with the accountant.

what are the implications of setting up a home office in the form of a temporary log cabin structure in the back garden ?

could say, the supply and install cost of approx £4k be a tax deductible expense ?....and could the temporary log cabin be written off over say 5 years ?

cheers

Originally posted by MikeF
    thought I would air this on the board before embarassing myself with the accountant.

what are the implications of setting up a home office in the form of a temporary log cabin structure in the back garden ?

could say, the supply and install cost of approx £4k be a tax deductible expense ?....and could the temporary log cabin be written off over say 5 years ?

cheers
    Probably yes to your question as it could be classed as Capital Expenditure. You might need planning permission as it's for business and you'd have to prove the cabin would not be the subject of constant client visits, traffic visits, noise to the neighbours etc. However, you'll most likely be liable for business rates on the property separate to your council tax.

Comment

cheers
      cant HMRC claim a portion of house sale proceeds?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
        cant HMRC claim a portion of house sale proceeds?

thats why I want to put a seprate, detatched and temporary log cabin.

i am trying to see if I can avoid any right by HMRC....in the hope that a log cabin is not part of the house....but a temporary structure in the garden

Comment

Can it have swings and a slide. My son would love "office" visits

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
            Can it have swings and a slide. My son would love "office" visits
            You could also try and claim for a new sofa for the office

Comment

HMRC have just issued a new document about the "capiatal expenditure" and the £2000 limit for claiming back the VAT - didn't read it all but there was something in there about the VAT on building materials being outside of the scope...
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

thats why I want to put a seprate, detatched and temporary log cabin.

i am trying to see if I can avoid any right by HMRC....in the hope that a log cabin is not part of the house....but a temporary structure in the garden
                It's easy to avoid HMRC having a claim on it. Don't put the capital cost through the business.

The phrase "cake and eat it" comes to mind.

tim

Comment

Is a room in the house not available?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    It's easy to avoid HMRC having a claim on it. Don't put the capital cost through the business.

The phrase "cake and eat it" comes to mind.

tim
                    i don't mind HMRC having a claim on it....but i'm trying to see if they only have a claim on the log cabin......what I'm trying to avoid is them having a claim on the house because there is a cabin in the garden

if I can find a legal way to have my cake and eat it then why shouldn't I ?

I don't see why I should volunteer to pay more tax than i have to.

I could free up a room in the house...but why should I if I am not obligated to ?

If I can find a way to get a temporary office set up and have it written off in a few years it seems good sense to me.....getting the VAT back would be a bonus....it being a tax deductible makes good sense (rather than to pay 40%)

Comment

Working...
                    X