• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making family member a shareholder in existing co?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making family member a shareholder in existing co?

Just wondering what the legalities might be with taking my ltd co where i own all the shares, so that i can split ownership of it between say myself and my mother?

Is it as simple as 'gifting' half my shares to my mother, or do i have to go through some kind of official process?

Get her to pay you a £1 for each share you give her.

Comment

You need to talk to an accountant about how the company needs to value the shares that you then need to sell / grant to the other person / people.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would have thought as an individual shareholder, i could value these myself if was gifting my own share of the company no?

Not got an accountant at the moment, so wondered if anyone had done this before......

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
          I would have thought as an individual shareholder, i could value these myself if was gifting my own share of the company no?

Not got an accountant at the moment, so wondered if anyone had done this before......
          You need professional advice, not ours.

All I will add is that it is more complicated than you think.

For example, even if you "gift" the shares, this may still be treated as a disposal for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) purposes. A value will have to be worked out and tax paid on it (possibly). If you have been trading (and invoicing) already then that value is going to be more than £1.

There may be a host of other considerations that don't spring to my mind, but then, I am not the professional in this field. You need to speak to someone who is.

Comment

Good points there .... thanks for that! Looks like ill need a bit more official advice on the matter.

Comment

Just wondering what the legalities might be with taking my ltd co where i own all the shares, so that i can split ownership of it between say myself and my mother?

Is it as simple as 'gifting' half my shares to my mother, or do i have to go through some kind of official process?
              The other question is...WHY? Is there a genuine business reason for doing this? What do you hope to achieve?

Comment

Tax efficiency when it comes to dividends and the like .... Usual story

Comment

Tax efficiency when it comes to dividends and the like .... Usual story
                  Wouldn't this fall fouls of S660?

Not sure myself, but I thought that there was something to stop you giving away solely to avoid your tax burden. Could be wrong though.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeah i can see how that might be the case, although im trying to run my Ltd as much like a 'consultancy' than a one man contracting band as much as possible to get away from this ..... very short term contracts, multiple simultaneous income streams, on site and off site work etc etc.

Still something to think about for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X