• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

avoiding high rate tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what the rate on the exit charge is?

Comment

Just checked with my accountant who sees no problem with this plan

Also according to him I can invest in shares or property with company money
      Has anyone done that ?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
        Just one. Once you are abroad in the tax haven can't you just take it all out in one go instead of 40K at a time?
        Two reasons for that
        1. Don't want to pay higher rate tax
        2. Don't want IR to chase me in another country for doing a runner with company money

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Just checked with my accountant who sees no problem with this plan

Also according to him I can invest in shares or property with company money
          Has anyone done that ?
          Has he discussed the different taxation that an investment company attracts? I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head, but there is a different tax regime for a company only doing invesments, which is what you will be doing.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Great thread as I am planning on doing exactly the same thing next year. I dont want to turn the company into an investment company, just bleed it dry over a ciuple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
              Does anyone know what the rate on the exit charge is?
              If I recall it is charged as CGT. The key question of course is whether the company does become non resident.

You can start your search here:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/CG1manual/CG13430.htm

This is one of the reasons often cited why it can be a poor idea to own property in a company.
              Last edited by ASB; 6 December 2007, 15:04.

Comment

Working...
              X