• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parasol or contractorUmbrella ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasol or contractorUmbrella ??

Both of these umbrella companies are recommended in this forum. Could anyone tell me whether they have had any bad experience in these companies? My spouse is planning to go for one or the other. Any comments?
    Last edited by clwd; 31 January 2008, 22:02.

You'll no doubt get someone moaning about something but overall I think they are both regarded as supplying a pretty good service. I've been with Parasol since 2004 and I have had no major problems at all.

Comment

Please consider the expenses policy of any umbrella companies that you consider joining as if it sounds too good to be true , it probably is

Comment

Originally posted by clwd View Post
        Both of these umbrella companies are recommended in this forum. Could anyone tell me whether they have had any bad experience in these companies? My spouse is planning to go for one or the other. Any comments?
        I was with Parasol for 2 years before setting up my own Ltd Co. They had one bad patch when a new computer system went live at tax year end, and my pay was held up for a week, during which time it was very difficult to contact anyone.

That apart, I could not fault their service. They have dealt with no end of problems with one agency who could not get a single payment correct, with good humour and patience, and never once suggested they may need to charge me for additional processing (which I believe they are entitled to do).

Their standard processing fees have increased noticeably, however.

Expenses wise, they seem to be whiter than white. Everything is spelled out very clearly - you can claim what they allow and no more and the liability falls on you if you make fraudulent claims.

One last thing - I personally know of someone who has received maternity pay from Parasol (at the 90% rate for 6 weeks, and now at the statutory rate). Were I a cynic, I might have expected a dodgy employer to try very hard to avoid this sort of payout (the 90% element being a hit they have to take from their own turnover) - Parasol were absolutely fine with it.

Just my 2p.

Comment

Iwas also with Parasol through the dodgy period. However my experience at other times was nowhere near as good. They messed up my payments, and if I queried anything I got a "were right and youre wrong" answer - which wasnt true. I ended up emailing their MD to get things sorted - even then they didnt pay the full amount, but I couldnt face continuing the battle - it was only a few quid by that point.
          Part of what made me go limited was a second contract with Hays, and th ethought of going back to them.
          In between I used ContracorUmbrella - very good, answered any query, knowledgable people on phones.......
          So I think my feelings are clear!

Comment

I was with Parasol, and thought they were very good. I only left because I realised how much money I was wasting. If I was definitely going to be screwed with IR35 I'd probably shut down my Ltd. and go back to Parasol.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Parasol were not so good with me I'm afriad.

They over charged me Tax and NI on more than one occasion and it was a nightmare getting it back. They charged me for a mistake that my agency made and the frequent rate increases stuck a nail in their coffin for me. I now pay the same rate to have my very own accountant.

I wouldn't use them again but it's your money they're making money out of so it's your call.

Comment

Originally posted by YogiBear View Post

One last thing - I personally know of someone who has received maternity pay from Parasol (at the 90% rate for 6 weeks, and now at the statutory rate). Were I a cynic, I might have expected a dodgy employer to try very hard to avoid this sort of payout (the 90% element being a hit they have to take from their own turnover) - Parasol were absolutely fine with it.
                I am using an umbrella company and was going through them for 6 month contract, I then took two months off and now have a new contract. I have just found out I'm pregnant 2 days into the contract but expect to be working for the next 26 weeks (the amount of time you need to be working continously to even be eligable for maternity pay). So does this mean I should be able to get 90% from my Umbrella company?

Has anyone else got any experience of this? I'm not sure how I can survive on my own otherwise.

Comment

I don't know how the umbrella's have their terms and conditions set out but I can't see them paying you maternity pay. In order to pay you money they need to have money coming in, and if you aren't working because you are giving birth/coping with a new baby there won't be any money coming in.

You will still be eligible for SMP but it isn't that much, about £112 a week. If you don't have any of your contracting money saved up for a rainy day you really need to start saving now.

Comment

Originally posted by irresponsible View Post
                    I am using an umbrella company and was going through them for 6 month contract, I then took two months off and now have a new contract. I have just found out I'm pregnant 2 days into the contract but expect to be working for the next 26 weeks (the amount of time you need to be working continously to even be eligable for maternity pay). So does this mean I should be able to get 90% from my Umbrella company?

Has anyone else got any experience of this? I'm not sure how I can survive on my own otherwise.
                    I don't see this being an issue.. You must inform them once you are past the 20 week point (I think) in your pregnancy.. SMP is 90% of salary for the first 6 weeks and then about £112 a week or so for the remaining 33 weeks (if you take the full 39 weeks).

All the information about SMP is available from DWP..
                    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Working...
                    X