• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Directors Loan (warning - potential newbie question!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directors Loan (warning - potential newbie question!)

Disclaimer: This following question could be deemed 'newbie', please do not read any futher if you are offended by such questions.

Righty, I've had a look through previous posts using the search facility regarding Directors Loans, I can see that it's possible to borrow upto £5k from my company providing it's paid back within 9 months of company accounts? This is something which might be useful to me, so can anyone please help answer my following queries:-

1. I've read the term 'Directors loan account'. Is this referring to a ledger within my books? Or is it an actual bank account.

2. Is it as easy as just transferring up to £5k from my business account to my personal current account using online banking and recording this within my accounts software?

Thanks.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Disclaimer: This following question could be deemed 'newbie', please do not read any futher if you are offended by such questions.

Righty, I've had a look through previous posts using the search facility regarding Directors Loans, I can see that it's possible to borrow upto £5k from my company providing it's paid back within 9 months of company accounts? This is something which might be useful to me, so can anyone please help answer my following queries:-

1. I've read the term 'Directors loan account'. Is this referring to a ledger within my books? Or is it an actual bank account.

2. Is it as easy as just transferring up to £5k from my business account to my personal current account using online banking and recording this within my accounts software?

Thanks.
    1 It just needs to be recorded in books
    2 Yes

But it is recommended you don't take a directors loan by most accountants.

Comment

Why is it recommended not to take one?

cheers.

Comment

Thanks.
        1. ledger
        2. it is that easy

personally I never borrowed over year end - I believe it causes extra stuff in company accounts?
        BP
        Ps f**king newbie - why didn't you do some research first? Why dont you ask Denny? (more rant) etcetc.

Comment

cheers.
          AFAIK it is only not recommended if over year end.

Comment

cheers.
            My accountant (one who frequents these forums) sees no problems with it and has advised us on it's use several times.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              AFAIK it is only not recommended if over year end.
              So to get round this can you just borrow it, pay it back a week before year end, then after year end, borrow another £5k?

Comment

Seems logical to borrow £5k and just pay it off a flexible mortgage, will save more interest than you would ever make in a good savings account after taxes etc.

Comment

Presumably there is some BIK implication to this?

Comment

Well from what I've read so far, it's not classed by the tax man as a BIK. What we choose to do with the loan is surely up to the individual in this case?

Comment

Working...
                    X