• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office decorating - picture framing. expensable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office decorating - picture framing. expensable?

Whats peoples thoughts on having things such as picture framing as an office expense?

Obviously you see things like that in offices all the time, but my spare bedroom cum home office could do with a little decoration - so would having some pictures framed there be much cause for concern?

I wouldn't do it for a home office. Furniture like computer desks I would put through, but not wallpaper, or carpet or pictures/picture frames.

I would feel quite happy arguing that I need the computer desks to run my business from home and would not have them if not for my business, but I would have a hard time arguing that a carpet/wallpaper/picture is purely a business expense and I wouldn't have them in my home if I didn't run my own business....

Comment

Fair do's ...... i suppose theres a marginal argument for it, but not enough i suppose

Comment

Maybe allowable if its for framing your City and Guilds in Excel, wouldn't have thought so otherwise

Comment

Unless you are a picture framer I think it highly unlikely that you would convince an HMR&C inspector that it was 'wholly and exclusively' for your business.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Just get a dispensation - no receipts needed, and tell HMRC it was a food bill or something when they come calling.

Or - no, you can't claim it.

Your pick as to which route to take
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had no problem with:-

800 quid for a slate worktop (covering the built in office safe)
              1000 quid for flooring
              200 quid for prints etc

In the investigation HMIT didn't really bat an eylid. This was taking place in the dedicated office.

He did inquire where the 600 odd quid table and chais were, I had to fess up that it was now in the kitchen. He did suggest that perhaps I should have bought it from the company when it became surplus to requirement, but said he wouldn't bother since second hand furniture values were so low.

He was fairly unimpressed with the company owned lawn tractor though. Stiffed me for BIK on it and disallowed the depreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                company owned lawn tractor

Comment

Working...
                X