• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experience with ITECS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any suggestions welcome
    Recently discussed, seems a good idea to travel Mon and Friday and limit time in country to <183 days a year. That's my take on it at the moment. I'm currently considering a 10 month job in Paris on a Mon > Fri basis.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Makes sense to limit the days if circumstances permit, but in my case it would mean kicking the wife and kid out of the country.... then again ....
      Last edited by jenever; 4 April 2008, 09:07.

Comment

Constant misinformation, failure to reply to emails, failure to return phone calls, and failure to do their job and provide payments on time. Not just one or twice, but repeatedly over a period of 6 months.
        When I made my initial enquiries two weeks ago they were very good. Called me a number of times and answered e-mails promptly. This week however, I have sent them 3 e-mails and received no response. Looks like the contract they sent me to sign is going in the bin.

Pearl Systems seem pretty good. Someone on here recommended them. I've received a few projections from them and I'm meeting with one of their guys on Monday. I'll report back on how it goes.

I think all these companies operate in a legally "grey" area. The distinction between tax "avoidance" and "evasion" can be a subjective one. Despite all their re-assurances, I think you need to assume if it goes wrong it is you who will be liable.
        Last edited by mikeyboy; 4 April 2008, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post

I think all these companies operate in a legally "grey" area. The distinction between tax "avoidance" and "evasion" can be a subjective one. Despite all their re-assurances, I think you need to assume if it goes wrong it is you who will be liable.
          No, it's objective. It's evasion if the action you take is expressly forbidden by law.

For example, you can choose not to claim expenses (expensive), to claim expenses you have incurred as non-taxable (avoidance) or claim expenses you haven't incurred (evasion). It's one of those irregular verbs:

I am operating an auditable expenses regime
          You are taking advantage of a loophole
          He is serving three years in Pentonville.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Pearl Systems seem pretty good. Someone on here recommended them. I've received a few projections from them and I'm meeting with one of their guys on Monday. I'll report back on how it goes.
            That would be me.
            I worked with them from set up.
            Who are you meeting?

[edit]your linky doesnt work, too many https
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I'm meeting with Robin, one of their finance guys.
              Any specific questions or pitfalls I should be aware of?
              (Link fixed, cheers)

I am operating an auditable expenses regime
              You are taking advantage of a loophole
              He is serving three years in Pentonville.
              Well illustrated!
              Last edited by mikeyboy; 4 April 2008, 10:35.

Comment

I'm meeting with Robin, one of their finance guys.
                Any specific questions or pitfalls I should be aware of?
                (Link fixed, cheers)

Well illustrated!
                Dont know Robin. I have never noticed any obvious pitfalls with them, though I havent used them for a while as I have been doing the Ltd thing.
                They were a bit more expensive than some, though I felt they were worth it. You may be able to nudge their fee down a bit.
                The girls in Denmark are very efficient and pleasant to work with. They would chase me for time sheets and invoices and would chase the client before I had noticed any problems.
                They do not hang on to any of your monies for longer than it takes to do the paperwork so you are not exposed for more than a couple of weeks if they go bang. Many others filter money into a "pension fund" account that they hang on to. Watch the legal/tax implications of that.

You will have to figure out your own questions based on your own situation and contract.

Ask him if there is a finders fee for me. Tell him I am Steve Berry's favourite Lancastrian.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by jenever View Post

I think I'll look for something that lets me rest easier at night, any suggestions welcome.
                  Declaring all of your income locally.

Anything else leaves you open to losing sleep.

tim

Comment

Mikeyboy,

What's have you decided to go for? Have you decided that this Pearl Systems are the best on balance?

I'm in the same position as you, I am about to take up a contract in Brussels with an initial 6 month term but it will probably run for up to 2 years. I think I should qualify for the expatriate allowance, but the ITECS arrangement seemed fairly complex.

I have spoken to a few of these companies over the last few days, but I wondered what your opinion (and that of others was) given that you seem to have spent a fair bit of time looking into it?

Am I right in thinking that if you go for a straightforward payroll system you're getting hit with 70% tax (50% income and ~20% social security, applied retrospectively after 3 years)?

Does anyone have a recommendation for an English-speaking Brussels accountant who would be able to offer advice?

PB (first time poster so please go easy )

Comment

Met with Pearl's guy yesterday. Signed up with them today.
                      Thanks for the advice.

Lone Gunman Steve owes you a pint

PerfectBlue Your post just appeared. (delayed as you're a newbie)
                      I went with Pearl in the end. ITECs appear to be having some problems at the moment and I don't have any confidence in them. Pearl seem very good and are used by a number of guys on here.
                      Last edited by mikeyboy; 8 April 2008, 22:15.

Comment

Working...
                      X