• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First wage slip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Like I said, you have no f***ing idea. For one thing, what do you think the PCG is? An insurance company?> A helpline for people who can't be bothered to research their own business?

For another, you may be an expert in your field, some of us are quite expert in ours. Doesn't mean you know anything about contracting in an increasingly difficult world: in fact right now you're demonstrating quite the opposite.

Grow a thicker skin and read what's being said. It might be a bit hard to take, but there is a lot of good advice in there. Flouncing off in a huff because you've bumped into reality acheives very little
    This post actually needs printing out and framing....

You just completely ignored...again...what I posted and came back with your own nasty little dribble....

Your just here to make people feel bad about themselves aren’t you. Your such a fantastic contractor and you know soooo much (or not according to the post above ). Well jolly hockey sticks for you. Fact is in the last two months I have gone from permanent employment to limited business owner, increased my salary greatly and have managed not to mess anything up. I’m quite happy where I am at thanks. Going to tackle the mucky world of IR35 with my next contract.

Just wondering, you bullied at school ? Your nasty personality must of come from somewhere....I usually find people like you aren’t so cocky when met in the real world....keyboard warrior.....tut tut...

Anyway, im off to start the day....friends over for a bbq today....lots to do....did you hear that "friends"....a distant dream for you probably

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
      He hasn't flounced off in a huff. He asked a sensible question, got a sensible answer from one poster and a sarcastic answer from someone who couldn't be bothered to read the original question properly so he came back and gave you a bit of your own medicine, which was perfectly justified.

I don't understand why, when you read a question that you can't be bothered to answer because it's "below you", you don't just ignore it. There are plenty of us who are prepared to give answers to simple questions.

It defies belief that you spend half your life having a pop at people for allegedly making stupid posts on internet fora when you spend the other half posting stupid/incorrect replies yourself.

You regularly have a pop at people for not reading the first-timer guides properly but this week you spent two days and 11 posts, reiterating the same incorrect point as fact 6 times, arguing about a simple point which you could have clarified by reading your beloved PCG guidance, your own tax return, P11D or PAYE coding notice.

Your erroneous posts are far more dangerous than someone posting a simple question because, for some reason which is a mystery to me, people seem to trust what you post. You therefore have a duty of care not to just post stuff as fact without checking it first.

I have a simple rule. If I know the answer, I might choose to post a response. If I don't know the answer, I either don't post a response or I go and research the answer.
      What he said....

Comment

I've been a contractor for a number of years - first through my LTD in the 90's and then through an MSC until February 2007 (when the new MSC regs were sprung).

I don't know if I missed it last April/May due to all the change on change on change but in the last few weeks I'd been asking myself exactly the same question as oafc0000 - why am I paying no NIC's when I was in March?

I thought oafc0000's question had all the facts needed (though he mentioned being caught by IR35 which turned out to have no bearing on this - I'm out of IR35 by the way).

Neil's answer was clear, direct and releavant - thanks very much! I now know my take home will drop in a month or two.

By the way - the reason I even checked the take home on my pay slip was to see how much the 10% tax band going had impacted me compared to March's pay slip.

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
          I've been a contractor for a number of years - first through my LTD in the 90's and then through an MSC until February 2007 (when the new MSC regs were sprung).

I don't know if I missed it last April/May due to all the change on change on change but in the last few weeks I'd been asking myself exactly the same question as oafc0000 - why am I paying no NIC's when I was in March?

I thought oafc0000's question had all the facts needed (though he mentioned being caught by IR35 which turned out to have no bearing on this - I'm out of IR35 by the way).

Neil's answer was clear, direct and releavant - thanks very much! I now know my take home will drop in a month or two.

By the way - the reason I even checked the take home on my pay slip was to see how much the 10% tax band going had impacted me compared to March's pay slip.

One minor point which may be of interest.

Neil mentioned doing NI for directors on a cumulative basis - and this is the normal way. This is intended to prevent an avoidance strategy used years ago.

However, you can (or at least could) choose to pay NI even as a director on an apportionment basis. The effect of this is that you pay in a "smoother manner". Overall you will pay the same over the year, it's just a question of when.

This gives the details - skim the first few pages.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nitables/ca44.pdf

Your accountants should be prepared to calculate on either basis - but I guess it will depend on what systems they have in place which method they prefer.

Comment

Working...
          X