• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The story continues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaster, I take your point but at the end of the day, I had already done the hard work and they had done something illegal. If someone stole your laptop, instead of taking them to court, would you just say - "oh never mind I will just do some more overtime and buy a new one". I think not!!

It was an effort and took a few evenings and some time during the day for phone calls but thankfully I did not have to go to court and loose a days pay. If that had been the case I might have had to reconsider (Tim's point).

The contracting/freelance community has to send a clear message to bigger companies to say that we have legal rights too and larger companies can not just pick and choose what laws they follow.

Sadly, in reality, all of the above has to take into account the financial issues surrounding it.

Comment

Another bit of reality Stang is that there are people (like Tim) who would have done absolutely nothing about being ripped off.

Its these people who create the problems because the agents think they can get away with this kind of behaviour!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        Another bit of reality Stang is that there are people (like Tim) who would have done absolutely nothing about being ripped off.

Its these people who create the problems because the agents think they can get away with this kind of behaviour!

Mailman
        Jesus, I really am getting fed up with this.

I have not said that I would never ever do anything about this. AIUI the guy was owed a large sum of money. Of course I would take action to recover a large sum of money.

What I wouldn't do, is take action to recover a piddly sum of interest that accrued whilst it was owing. I have got better things to do with my life.

Personally, I didn't consider being paid a week late as 'being ripped off'. Do you pay all your bills before the red one arrives? Do you sometimes even wait for the disconnection warning? Is this ripping off the leccy company?

tim

Comment

Well..the thing to bear in mind is that this is a company. Unlike individuals companies couldn't care less about a court case especially one that cost them £700.

The assistant gets a letter from an angry contractor, then he pops his head round the door and says to some manager "hey I have a letter from an angry contractor". The manager might shrig his shoulders or even smirk and it would go off to the legal dept. The legal dept deal with it like all other complaints and bed debtors angry creditors, gets settled by the accounts dept and eventually it ends up in some huge filing cabinet.

The point is you might come out triumphant probably having gone through stress, and nobody at the company you sued could care less; and the point is bad debts are so common place that every company trading has a provision for bad debts, and provided the level of bad debts doesn't rise 2% above the norm, nobody cares.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
            Jesus, I really am getting fed up with this.
            Ill stop once you get to the "really, really, really,pee'd off" stage!

But until then you will be held directly accountable for every dodgy action agents carry out!

Mailman

Comment

Rip(ped Off) Roaring Success

Mailman is right. It's all Tim's fault.

Comment

Working...
              X