• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Redundancy Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundancy Period

I joined a company as a staff member and after 2 months employment in my probation period they made me redundant. Said it wasnt working out for them.

No notice or warning or disinplinary actions just thats it, bye!

With only working there for 2 months do I have any options? They wont give me a letter confirm my redundancy or my P45.

It's becoming a nightmare!!

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Originally posted by Millboy View Post
    I joined a company as a staff member and after 2 months employment in my probation period they made me redundant. Said it wasnt working out for them.

No notice or warning or disinplinary actions just thats it, bye!

With only working there for 2 months do I have any options? They wont give me a letter confirm my redundancy or my P45.

It's becoming a nightmare!!

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
    You are entitled to your P45 as a minimum. You could approach the Tax office where you are registered during your employment and let them know that your previous employer is refusing to give you your P45.

Do you have any email confirmation stating you have been made redundant?

Were their exact words "You are being made redundant" or "Your role is being made redundant"?

You are probably not entitled to any redundancy pay as you haven't been there long enough. (I use probably, just in case someone says any differently).

If you have any payslips, you can take them along with you to the Benefits office and use them when you sign on.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

What did your contract say? I guess as on probation it was a week notice?

Any idea why you were made redundant?

Comment

Said it wasnt working out for them.
        hold on, if you were in your probation period, why do they need to make you redundant.

did they actually say redundant?

Comment

Said it wasnt working out for them.
          I think the secret is in this line above. Are you sure you just didn't fail the probation period? As others have mentioned - time to read the contract of employment you had with them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well they didnt say I was being maed redundant nor did they say the role is being made redundant.

They just simply said its not working so we're "letting you go" those were the words.

There was no warning or anything. In my opinion the role was being completed as requested. I thought you have to follow a procedure such as;

a: waring that your not performing
            b: actions in place to rectify it
            c: lastly then sacked/fired/redundant/falling notice period what ever you want to call it.

My problem is that they said none of this, no reason why, no letters, still no payslips, no P45. Nothing.

Just "were letting you go"!!!!

So frustrated.

Comment

Well they didnt say I was being maed redundant nor did they say the role is being made redundant.

They just simply said its not working so we're "letting you go" those were the words.

There was no warning or anything. In my opinion the role was being completed as requested. I thought you have to follow a procedure such as;

c: lastly then sacked/fired/redundant/falling notice period what ever you want to call it.

My problem is that they said none of this, no reason why, no letters, still no payslips, no P45. Nothing.

So frustrated.
              I doubt they have to follow that procedure in probation. It could just be that they could no longer afford you. You should have dug your heels in until you got an answer.

Live and learn.

Comment

I have realised that now. Oh well I thought I would ask tho.

Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

I have realised that now. Oh well I thought I would ask tho.

Thanks to all who replied.
                  I'm surprised you didn't chase them for the payslips at least. That way you can prove your employment with the company. Speak to their payroll department on the sly and chase it up.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

So frustrated.
                    That's what the probation period is for so they can let people go, all companies use it and sorry it has happened to you.

But you have a legal right to have a P45 issued and payslips confirming your pay and any tax paid. Does the company have a HR department, you could remind them of this?

So go to citizens advice and tell them what’s happened and they should be able to write you a letter or call the company and get that sorted.

Apart from that start looking for a new job.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X