• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Storage - expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Just1morethen;797729]
    Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
    Yes you could - if you can prove that is your intention when you made the booking is to check out the latest technologies and it was "wholly, necessary and exclusively" for you business.
    QUOTE]

Am I not right in saying that a business expenses need to be "necessary". This only applies to employment expenses.
    If you are a sole trader you are correct. But if the expense is a expense of a Limited company then it often needs to be "necessary" because the decision is made by an employee. If you follow all three, you are less likely to have a problem, as some Ltd company expenditure is not allowable - because the expenditure is for "non trading" reasons, they are not allowable, as a trading expense because it is not "necessary" for trading purposes.....

Comment

[QUOTE=Little'Old Me;797942]
      Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post

If you are a sole trader you are correct. But if the expense is a expense of a Limited company then it often needs to be "necessary" because the decision is made by an employee. If you follow all three, you are less likely to have a problem, as some Ltd company expenditure is not allowable - because the expenditure is for "non trading" reasons, they are not allowable, as a trading expense because it is not "necessary" for trading purposes.....
      I disagree. A limited company is subject to the same rules as a sole trader or partnership. Bob Jones has covered this in another thread - "Are books tax deductible?" or something similar and I am inclined to agree with Bob's stance.

Comment

Working...
      X