• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much salay do you pay yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Sounds about right. However, what does LEL stand for? (Sorry, having a dipsy moment).
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

The LEL is the "Lower Earnings Limit". Currently this is the amount of earnings required for a years pension credit. The primary threshold is the value at which NI starts.

I don't know if the state second pension is based on earnings above the LEL or the PT. This could be important if you are trying to absolutely minimise tax/ni and maximise pension benefit. Untimately the difference between the LEL and the PT (15 pw) would cost you personally 11% and the company 12.8. However the paying of this would reduce the profit of the comapny and thus get a bit of CT relief -making the effective er ni contribuiton also in the order of 10.5%. Now as an individual if you don't have earned income for this you lose personal tax relief of 20% effectively on the 15 pw - but you may get the savings rate of 10% anyway.

I'd have to run the numbers through a tax calculator to work out the overall difference in liabilitys - at most it's a few quid either way. So the only question becomes do you get enough S2P as a result of the difference between 95 and 110 to make it worthwhile increasing salary to 110 pw. I suspect the answer is that you would need very specific circumstance for it to actually make any vialble difference. The S2P rules are far too complex for me to work out the nuances.

The important thing in my view is to ensure you have enough salary to get the years basic pension credit at nil cost - since it is a cost to buy it in voluntarily. There are some circumstance where it is worth buying though - in fact in most cases it's probably worth doing, especially if it gets you enough "old years" (since you need 10 to qualify for anything under the old system. Against the interaction of the old system and the new 30 year system is not entirely clear to me either). Thyen of course just to make sure everything is as clear as an opaque thing there is the sold called minimum income guarentee which is means tested. This can mean thatmodest savings or pension pots are in fact pointless anyway since under the current system pension will be topped up to the MIG if you don't have the money yourself (the MIG is a complete con in my vies - it effectively becomes a 100% tax rate for people of modest means in retirement).

Sorry, that's a bloody long woffly answer for a very short simple question of what does an acronym mean.
    Last edited by ASB; 7 April 2009, 21:12.

Comment

I hear a few accountants tell me, clients should not take a low salary....

They tend to be accountants that lack confidence in what they do....

I have a large number of Ltd company clients, and although we have discussed the options, not one, want to pay more than max, not to pay Tax & NIC. A couple even refuse to take any salary! In the last 2years, 3 clients moved to me because their previous accountant refused to do it. The only ones that pay tax (no NIC) have some additional self-employed income, or have employees.

I have a couple of Self-employed clients, who employ their wives on £20-£40k salaries - but they make so much money they are happy to pay them, the Tax & NIC. The maternity pay they get when they are on maternity leave, will normally cover all the liabilities!

One director I knew (not my client), was taking a £45k salary until the Artic Systems case and then dropped to £5k... not a peep out of HMRC.

In all the 15+ years I've been doing low salaried payrolls, I have never had a problem, and nor have any of my clients.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Sorry, that's a bloody long woffly answer for a very short simple question of what does an acronym mean.
        That'll teach me to ask.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Is the minimum wage £11250 applicable for 2008-2009 OR 2009-2010?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
            Is the minimum wage £11250 applicable for 2008-2009 OR 2009-2010?
            I don't think it matters. The question refers to people whose salary at least this amount or over.

Comment

Working...
            X