• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT & Last minute.com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT & Last minute.com

All,

I found this on last minutes web site as the reciept they email you doesnt include VAT.

"Unfortunately we are unable to provide a VAT receipt for hotel bookings.
    The confirmation email received at the time of your booking should indicate if the hotel will be able to provide you a VAT receipt covering the duration of your stay.
    If you have any questions regarding VAT Receipts please contact us using the 'Email Us' button below."

However I have also found this on the email......

Last Minute Network Limited acts as an agent with respect to the sale of other products on the lastminute.com website including hotel rooms, theatre tickets and gifts. For your records, Last Minute Network Limited's VAT registration no. is 761248138 and its company registration no. is 3538456. Registered company address of Last Minute Network Limited is 39 Victoria Street, London SW1H 0EE.

Would I just use the vat number above against the order number to invoice VAT or am I missing something?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Recruitment consultants were sent to punish us all!

I think that it is a bit tulip but I don't think that they are the only online travel agent that behaves this way. I don't think that you will get a VAT receipt out of Expedia either.

It could get very complicated where you are buying a package that includes some items that are VAT rated (hotel room) and some which are not (plane ticket), but that is no excuse!

This is not a problem if the travel agent just make the booking and you pay the service provider (i.e. the hotel) directly becuase the hotel will provide the VAT receipt. From memory this is not what you get with Lastminute though.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe101 View Post
      All,

I found this on last minutes web site as the reciept they email you doesnt include VAT.

The confirmation email received at the time of your booking should indicate if the hotel will be able to provide you a VAT receipt covering the duration of your stay.
      If you have any questions regarding VAT Receipts please contact us using the 'Email Us' button below."
      Is that legal?

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe101 View Post
        All,

However I have also found this on the email......

Last Minute Network Limited acts as an agent with respect to the sale of other products on the lastminute.com website including hotel rooms, theatre tickets and gifts. For your records, Last Minute Network Limited's VAT registration no. is 761248138 and its company registration no. is 3538456. Registered company address of Last Minute Network Limited is 39 Victoria Street, London SW1H 0EE.

Would I just use the vat number above against the order number to invoice VAT or am I missing something?
        As you said, it's a confirmation email, not a VAT receipt. Even though you paid LastMinute.com the money for the room, they will give your money to the hotel minus the commission. Their income will be from the hotel you are booking to stay with.

The hotel should be the one that provides you with the VAT receipt. There should not be any reason why you cannot phone the hotel to find out if they can provide you with a VAT receipt.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but has anyone had any luck since this? Last Minute are refusing point blank to give me anything but a payment receipt (Despite being a UK VAT registered company) and the hotel are just saying speak to Last Minute.

It seems they're coming under some weird Tour Operators legislation, but the foreign people I've been speaking to have been less than forth coming with actual detail? It'll be the last time I use Last Minute in that case, seeing as I'm now £40 out of pocket for a 2 night stay (Not on FRS).

Comment

This may not be a help but this is why I stay away from the likes of Expedia and Last Minute. I learned a rather expensive lesson booking a week's stay at a London hotel through them and never use them for business.

I stick with laterooms.com these days, you don't have the same problem with them.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              This may not be a help but this is why I stay away from the likes of Expedia and Last Minute. I learned a rather expensive lesson booking a week's stay at a London hotel through them and never use them for business.

I stick with laterooms.com these days, you don't have the same problem with them.
              Indeed, the only saving grace this time is that it was a super secret hotel so even with the extra £40 it was probably good value for money - but yeah, I'll definitely be extremely careful with these agents going forward. I find it very hard to believe that booking a UK hotel with a UK company is what this Tour Operators Legislation stuff was intended for.

Comment

Working...
              X