• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you expect your accountant to:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you expect your accountant to:

Inform you that you qualify for Loss Relief or in the esteemed forums opinion should you be approaching them to ask the question?

It's something that I admittedly don't know a great deal about but I'm a little peeved that it looks like I could get a fair few grand from it and my accountant hasn't even suggested it

What say you
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

I've from the school of: give me the advice I need when I need it, where my accountant is concerned but in reality it never really happens and I suspect general opinion on here could be different.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

I do not have an accountant yet but will be looking for one. Whoever I pick I will expect them to come to me (as they are the experts) to suggest these things to me.

This is what I call being pro-active. However I am concerned that accountants who claim to be pro-active do not appear to be offering this - according to other recent postings on this forum.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        I do not have an accountant yet but will be looking for one. Whoever I pick I will expect them to come to me (as they are the experts) to suggest these things to me.

This is what I call being pro-active. However I am concerned that accountants who claim to be pro-active do not appear to be offering this - according to other recent postings on this forum.
        You might be able to get this sort of service with a local accountant or one who is a genuine friend, but I think it'll be less disappointing for you if you lower your expectations because you'll be lucky to get this from the one's the majority of CUK bods use..
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
          You might be able to get this sort of service with a local accountant or one who is a genuine friend, but I think it'll be less disappointing for you if you lower your expectations because you'll be lucky to get this from the one's the majority of CUK bods use..
          I thought this might be the response

I'll take it to them then and also suggest that maybe they should be looking for ways to save me money, after all - I'm paying them enough.
          Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
          I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
            Thanks this does not surprise me after following some of the other threads.

I must change the meaning of proactive in my dictionary at least in terms of expectations from others, the definition remains the same when I market myself to clients!
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Loss Relief

Yep, this should be covered when the CT returns are prepared....loss relief is pretty simple/standard stuff...if you make a loss carry it back or forward whichever is applicable in the client's circumstances!

The boxes are available on the returns to be able to do this. Hopefully not too many people will be using it on this board!

Comment

If the accountant offers pro-active advice as part of their service then, yes, I would. If the advice isn't pro-active or the accountant isn't providing all the services they advertise/are paid for then I'd be looking for a partial refund or voting with my feet.

(All hypothetical and not related to any accountant/company in the real world).

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
                  Yep, this should be covered when the CT returns are prepared....loss relief is pretty simple/standard stuff...if you make a loss carry it back or forward whichever is applicable in the client's circumstances!

The boxes are available on the returns to be able to do this. Hopefully not too many people will be using it on this board!
                  Is there any insurance you can take out if your footy team is relegated

Comment

Working...
                  X