• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loss on Shares through Ltd Company - Treatment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss on Shares through Ltd Company - Treatment?

I bought shares through my Ltd Company for £5000 last year and due to the excellant timing, they went downward through the floor

Anyway sold them in the end for just over a grand.

Does anyone know if I can write of the loss as an expense? Im thinking as loss on investment??? Please tell me this is possible...

Thanks

Why would you buy shares through your limited company rather than buying them yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
      I bought shares through my Ltd Company for £5000 last year and due to the excellant timing, they went downward through the floor

Anyway sold them in the end for just over a grand.

Does anyone know if I can write of the loss as an expense? Im thinking as loss on investment??? Please tell me this is possible...

Thanks
      Technically you are only allowed to buy shares through your Ltd Company if the share trading account is in your Ltd Company name. (TD Waterhouse offers such a service).

If this is not the case then to avoid any illegality that £5000 should be treated as a Director's loan to you. It therefore becomes a personal, not company, loss. Capital losses from one year can be offset against capital gains from subsequent years.

If you had a company share trading account and therefore have lost ~£4000 then this would come off your profits and reduce the amount of corporate tax you pay.

Comment

yes it is a TD trading account.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EchoSierra View Post
          If you had a company share trading account and therefore have lost ~£4000 then this would come off your profits and reduce the amount of corporate tax you pay.
          You sure about that? I don't see how it is a business transaction, sure it will cause a revaluation of the retained assets but I would not have thought there would be CT relief.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            You sure about that? I don't see how it is a business transaction, sure it will cause a revaluation of the retained assets but I would not have thought there would be CT relief.
            Not 100% sure but if you made a profit via share trading with the Ltd Company you'd have to pay CT on it...

Comment

Originally posted by EchoSierra View Post
              Not 100% sure but if you made a profit via share trading with the Ltd Company you'd have to pay CT on it...
              Yes, but that is of course different.

I would expect that you could probably offset the loss against other share trading gains but not against normal trading income.

Comment

Working...
              X