• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium - A Short Guide to Tax and Social Security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning,

Honestly, I didn't manage to cover all the previous pages but I'll do my best.

I've been contracting in Belgium since last June and planning to stay for the time being. The only company I could find to do the bookkeeping advised to create an Irish Ltd for this (I'm Irish). They haven't been very professional so I'm looking for a change. Any advice?

The setup is as follows.

My Irish Ltd has only me as an employee. And one secretary provided by the accountancy. Only now they managed to get me an Irish VAT number so I'm still unsure about my liabilities in both jurisdictions for the last year. I'm 100% based here and paying Social Security in Belgium. My accountancy is charging €650 monthly, pro-rated in case of underemployment. Is there any alternative? I was OK with such fees at the beginning but now I'm starting feeling they're not doing their job so I'm prepared to try a competitor if there are any good ones.

Thanks a million.

Comment

Do you have a degree and fixed accommodation in Belgium? If so , have you thought of becoming self employed in Belgium?
      What the hell does an Accountant do for you for €8000 a year?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Yes, of course. But my degree is not in accounting. I was given only one name and I stuck with it. Now I'd like to examine other options. Being self-employed in Belgium, again, as I was told, is eating up the net pay much more than the suggested option with an Irish Ltd. I'm valuing the compliance part over the retention but the latter is obviously important, too.

Comment

Originally posted by maxtor View Post
          Yes, of course. But my degree is not in accounting. I was given only one name and I stuck with it. Now I'd like to examine other options. Being self-employed in Belgium, again, as I was told, is eating up the net pay much more than the suggested option with an Irish Ltd. I'm valuing the compliance part over the retention but the latter is obviously important, too.
          In order to be self employed you need a degree. I am not sure whether having any degree is ok as I never bothered to find out.I just happen to have an accounting degree. I used a UK Ltd once to do a short term contract in France and broke even after paying a management fee of €500 A month.Self employed in Belgium means income less expenses less social security less tax. You have a VAT number so you can invoice clients but no dividends.
          Are you in the Brussels area?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Sure, Schuman. I do have a VAT and I was also promised dividends but since they (the accountants) haven't filed my tax return for the last year yet, I can't expect anything except for the salary and expenses. I have two IT degrees and 20+ years of experience.

Comment

I have a contract coming in Germany at least 2 days working from Germany. What should the translated rate? Also who should pay expenses? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
                I have a contract coming in Germany at least 2 days working from Germany. What should the translated rate? Also who should pay expenses? Thanks.

You are just making this up now. No one is this daft.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 18 May 2019, 19:06.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

May be there are stupid people like me. I passed couple of Client interviews and they want me full time in Germany. I have toddler at home so I wouldn’t be able to be there for more than 2 days. They have a global Team, I usually works in Digital Transformation so work X border all the time. Going from full time permanent role to contracting + starting some off-shore projects at the same time. I have a UK rate in mind (corporate and lower for public sector) but not sure how that is translated. Looking for ideas from people who are doing it for a while and really ‘No Thanks’ for answers like ‘Talk to your accountant first’ please.

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
                    May be there are stupid people like me. I passed couple of Client interviews and they want me full time in Germany. I have toddler at home so I wouldn’t be able to be there for more than 2 days. They have a global Team, I usually works in Digital Transformation so work X border all the time. Going from full time permanent role to contracting + starting some off-shore projects at the same time. I have a UK rate in mind (corporate and lower for public sector) but not sure how that is translated. Looking for ideas from people who are doing it for a while and really ‘No Thanks’ for answers like ‘Talk to your accountant first’ please.

Why are you asking questions about Germany on the Belgium thread?

No one would say ask your accountant because this isn't an accounting questions. Jesus.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Why are you asking questions about Germany on the Belgium thread?

No one would say ask your accountant because this isn't an accounting questions. Jesus.
                      Because I am tempted not to create a new thread. And I am asking for suggestions how do I ask about a rate in Euro / Germany which have a similarity in the conversation. I understand you are trying to be harsh / rude and most responses are TBH (and I get that, we need that) but I think such attitude is asking me not to ask any queries at all. Don’t get me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X