• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy phone, sale of goods act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Part of the sale of goods act includes durability. The stte it was in at the time of purchase is irrelevant in that respect.

Yep, know your point about wet. Can't disprove it and it seems to be the standard answer. Though I did get a phone very wet once, I got chucked in a mates swimming pool. Phone was actually fine!
    Yep you are right about the durability but I still think they can get away with a repair rather than a renewal at this time.

What did you do to deserve being chucked in the pool??? Can't believe phone was fine - I assume it was in your pocket and not on a table by the side of the pool
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Yep you are right about the durability but I still think they can get away with a repair rather than a renewal at this time.

What did you do to deserve being chucked in the pool??? Can't believe phone was fine - I assume it was in your pocket and not on a table by the side of the pool
      A repair is fine, it's just the hassle they want me to go through that irks.

I got chucked in the pool at about 4am on new years day a few years ago rather a lot of booze had been involved. Most difficult bit was trying to figure out where my glasses had ended up. Not quite sure what the cops would have made of it since I was so wet I was just in my undies in the car on the way home...

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Maybe in future just get decent phone insurance.

I pay £3 a month on Vodafone to insure a £500 phone against accidental damage.
        Waste of cash - minimal risk (probably at least partial cover on household policy) and in 2 years you've paid the value of the phone again for something you might not even use (IMHO of course).

Comment

A repair is fine, it's just the hassle they want me to go through that irks.

I got chucked in the pool at about 4am on new years day a few years ago rather a lot of booze had been involved. Most difficult bit was trying to figure out where my glasses had ended up. Not quite sure what the cops would have made of it since I was so wet I was just in my undies in the car on the way home...
          Sounds like some party

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

That is at least a little questionable. There is an EU directive which was required to be implemented in all member states. This gives all electrical items a minimum 2 year warranty and places the burden of proof on the vendor. Whether or not we have actually implemented this, don't know.
            A fair amount of confusion was caused by the EU directive. Our SOGA actually gives stronger consumer protection than that, and is actually what is in force in this country (despite what the media have been claiming). You are covered for six years and we would actually leave consumers in a weaker position if we adopted it as the EU wishes.

Get the independent report and make them fix it. Like I said, it's a standard cop out for the phone companies at the moment.

The SOGA also stipulates that you shouldn't be significantly inconvenienced whilst they are attempting the repair, so insist on a loan phone whilst they have yours.

Comment

And the result

After wrting I got a callback restating their position. I told them that was carp. They were also trying to tell me I had to get an Ofcom reference and approval befors I could issue the country court summons.

Anyway about 5 minutes later the executive office called me back, "well on this occasion". Replacement handset arrives tomorrow.

We generally get carp service because we allow it...

Comment

Well done that man

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

After wrting I got a callback restating their position. I told them that was carp. They were also trying to tell me I had to get an Ofcom reference and approval befors I could issue the country court summons.
                  To get an Ofcom reference number - phone up Ofcom's helpline and put in a complaint about company.

All they do is record your complaint to add to the statistics about complaints about a particular company.

Then phone company back with reference number and enjoy hearing them panic while sorting out your issue..............

Anyway about 5 minutes later the executive office called me back, "well on this occasion". Replacement handset arrives tomorrow.
                  Nice to know they sorted it out without you having to quote your Ofcom reference number to them.

We generally get carp service because we allow it...
                  Agreed.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They were also trying to tell me I had to get an Ofcom reference and approval befors I could issue the country court summons.
                    Nice try - since the Ofcom website, referring to poor customer service says

Ofcom does not investigate individual consumer complaints and we will not respond to you about your individual complaint.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Nice try - since the Ofcom website, referring to poor customer service says

Quite. I just thought it was remarkably funny that they should be trying to say "you can't sue us until Ofcom say you can". Still, it kept me amused for a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X