• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

physical abuse at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To what degree of assault are we talking about.

Did someone ping an elastic band across the room and it accidentaly hit you in the arm. Or was it a big fist clean across the face. Presumably somewhere in between.

You shouldn't have to put up with either, but if it was at the very minor end of the scale, you'll look a right plonker going to HR.

Comment

If you bring the police in immediately, you are a bit screwed in terms of letting the company deal with the culprit without losing face - which means a chance you'll be dropped too. Doing it internally with the HR director and their/your line managers and making it absolutely clear you will report it to the managing director and then police if nothing happens would be my approach.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks all for your responses. We are both contractors (one being much more senior than me) and it was a bit more than an elastic ping across the desk (I can handle that). Will deal with it internally first before going to the police.

Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          To what degree of assault are we talking about.

Did someone ping an elastic band across the room and it accidentaly hit you in the arm. Or was it a big fist clean across the face. Presumably somewhere in between.

You shouldn't have to put up with either, but if it was at the very minor end of the scale, you'll look a right plonker going to HR.
          WHS. Good post.

Evidence is what you need most if you are going to take it further. Gettin the permies to drop another permie in it in a case of abuse against a contractor is going to be very difficult but again we don't know what level we are talking about here.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just can't imagine something like that in this day and age. Verbal abuse sure, but physical?!

Hope everything works out for you, some good advice above.

Comment

In my last role I was getting dissed in emails by a developer in the team. These were being copied to other people I had to deal with and it wasnt on to be frank.

I was quite happy to have it out with him in the car park but decided to be professional about it and take it to HR with a couple of examples of the mails.

Suffice to say they came down hard on him.

So, my advice is always be professional about it and dont fall for this bollocks that contractors dont get involved in such things.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                ....and people wonder why project managers have got a bad name in some quarters?
                That was a bit random.

Why do you refer to PMs?
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Don't let it happen again.

Hard to say what to do when the situation is not totally described but you should be sorting this now. COnsider speaking to a joint manager and if it was criminal assault consider speaking to the police. Do whatever you have to to get this stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    That was a bit random.

Why do you refer to PMs?
                    Presumably because of this:
                    Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    forget that either take em outside and leather em or get your mates to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                      Presumably because of this:
                      Fairy nuffski. Missed that. Ta.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X