• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

training for a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

training for a contract

I have a client that wants me to undertake some training, and I would like to field the question of what is the best way of doing it. Apologies if this has been answered before..

Obviously I don't want the client to pay for it outright as this would indicate a employee relationship and has implications for ir35. So I was thinking I could either pay for it via my ltd co and invoice them for it, or, if this is not recommended I could negotiate my rates to cover this training.

Thank you everyone for your time..
    Stu

Pay for it via your Ltd.

There are reasons to do it that way but I don't have them to hand. I'm sure that someone will come up with them.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I usually charge double my day rate for any training they want to throw my way.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
        I usually charge double my day rate for any training they want to throw my way.
        A win-win situation if ever there was one...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Doesn't really matter how you charge them for it, but the two key points are that (a) you pay for the course and (b) you don't charge them for time spent taking it. So you may have to do some overtime (nudge nudge) to recover the time you spent doing the course itself.

Talk to the client and haggle a bit.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's just occured to me - how do I invoice the client?? what do I put on the invoice?

ah yeah, hadn't thought of the fact I'm going to be missing out on a or two's work too.. have to factor that in.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by stunews View Post
              It's just occured to me - how do I invoice the client?? what do I put on the invoice?
              Either add it on as overtime, or add something like "additional professional services agreed outside the normal scope of the contract".
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have a client that wants me to undertake some training, and I would like to field the question of what is the best way of doing it. Apologies if this has been answered before..

Obviously I don't want the client to pay for it outright as this would indicate a employee relationship and has implications for ir35. So I was thinking I could either pay for it via my ltd co and invoice them for it, or, if this is not recommended I could negotiate my rates to cover this training.

Stu
                Hi there

It is not quite so simple.
                If you are training for a new skill then it is not an allowable expense through your company, so try and negotiate that the client pays it.
                Full details on HMRC website

Comment

Stu
                  How about you take the training, keep the client happy, give yourself a job for life, and shut up about it??

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                  X