• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    Whatever happened to Brillo Pad?
    Not funny.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
      I guess he really isn't very popular: just read a newsflash that Stephen Timms has just been stabbed
      thats called Karma, the universe finds its own way to redress bad deeds...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        thats called Karma, the universe finds its own way to redress bad deeds...
        Something very strange just happened. I posted some sarcastic stuff about how dismayed I was at Timm's wounding, and a 'net admin' type, deleted the post and sent me a rather patronising PM saying they had removed it because I wasn't 'helping my cause' (whatever my 'cause' is). Oddly, my post was singled out from all the other wellwishers.

I don't use this forum much (CUK rather a drab place apart from BN66 stuff) but are they generally that averse to anything they consider slightly controversial?

Doesn't that seem to be a rather bizarre thing to happen on a technology forum?

Comment

Moderation

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
          Something very strange just happened. I posted some sarcastic stuff about how dismayed I was at Timm's wounding, and a 'net admin' type, deleted the post and sent me a rather patronising PM saying they had removed it because I wasn't 'helping my cause' (whatever my 'cause' is). Oddly, my post was singled out from all the other wellwishers.

I don't use this forum much (CUK rather a drab place apart from BN66 stuff) but are they generally that averse to anything they consider slightly controversial?

Doesn't that seem to be a rather bizarre thing to happen on a technology forum?
          Moderators exist for our own protection, as well as that of the site. There has been previous history of police involvement and we certainly do not want a repetition of that.

We may disagree with Stephen Timms at all sorts of levels, particularly his politics and his past associations with Ovum, but it is not acceptable to in any way condone physical violence. We should therefore wish him a complete and speedy recovery and a welcome to the backbenches where he can no longer harm the contracting community.

Its an interesting statistic that Timms has the largest majority in the Commons polling 70% of the vote in his constituency. It makes it even stranger that this should have happened to him.

Squicker, this is not a censure, but our cause is best served by staying well out of the gutter where the last Govt spent most of its life peddling its unfairness.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

The real villains of the piece

Stephen Timms was a mere bit player in all of this. He wasn't even the Minister in charge at the time s.58 was enacted (that was Jane Kennedy). It is most likely that all his responses on the matter would have been written by civil servants in HMT anyway which he just signed.

Even Jane Kennedy was probably manipulated by officials. I'm not saying she doesn't carry any responsibilty but we would do well to remember who the real architects of BN66 were - HMRC.

HMRC came up with the idea and worked with civil servants in the Treasury to sell it to Ministers. When Jane Kennedy was speaking in the debate those wouldn't have been her words; she would have been briefed (ie. coached) by officials on exactly what to say.

If you want to get a feel for how much work went into BN66 before it got anywhere near a Government Minister, check out HMRC's response to this:

FOI Request

Their reason for not providing the information is quite revealing in itself, especially when you consider that this was just in the 3-month period October to December 2007.

"many hundreds of documents"
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 17 May 2010, 09:56.

Comment

Whatever happened to Brillo Pad

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
              Whatever happened to Brillo Pad?
              Work with BP at clientco ... he has been off for a few days ..... he did say he wanted to "get into politics" !!

Comment

Apparently a sizeable number of Labour MPs have a bottle of champagne in the fridge, which they will open when Thatcher dies.

Charming.

So, we won't be "wishing Timms a speedy recovery" thank you very much.

Comment

Whatever happened to Brillo Pad

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                  Work with BP at clientco ... he has been off for a few days ..... he did say he wanted to "get into politics" !!

Nah seriously folks (and moderators and police and tax deatheaters ......._

BP is

a) is older than 21
                  b) has got a life

Comment

The time for action is NOW!!!

The date of the emergency budget has been announced as Tuesday 22nd June, 5 weeks tomorrow.

I am not going to try and pretend that the prospects of getting s58 overturned are great but I hope you will all agree that we should do something.

A detailed letter has been prepared to send to Tory and Libdem MPs.

If your MP is Labour, fear not because it can be sent directly to the Chancellor himself.

Full instructions are included in the letter.

To receive a copy email me at [email protected]

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      The date of the emergency budget has been announced as Tuesday 22nd June, 5 weeks tomorrow.

I am not going to try and pretend that the prospects of getting s58 overturned are great but I hope you will all agree that we should do something.

A detailed letter has been prepared to send to Tory and Libdem MPs.

If your MP is Labour, fear not because it can be sent directly to the Chancellor himself.

Full instructions are included in the letter.

To receive a copy email me at [email protected]

Thank you!
                      DR, is it worth sending to both your MP and Georgey baby regardless??

Comment

Working...
                      X