• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
    Her Majesty's Ridiculous Cretins finally sent us our closure notice. Mrs Boyz had a good old chuckle as it was posted second class on December 22nd, cunningly timed -with the bad weather and the holidays - to leave us with the minimum amount of time to appeal, in our case less than two weeks.
    You are not alone. They seem to have sent out a sizeable batch just before Xmas.

Does anyone know how we can get some kind of confirmation that the Revenue have the appeal on their system and won't send the debt collectors round as has happened to one or two unfortunate souls?
    In all the cases I'm aware of where debt management (DMB) showed up at people's doors, HMRC had previously accepted the appeals and agreed to postpone payment.

In some instances it was because DMB jumped the gun. In others it was due to clerical errors eg. not ticking the "do not collect" box on a form.

In the event that DMB do turn up on your doorstep:

(a) don't let them in - send them packing

(b) call Montpelier

Comment

Originally posted by Potius sero quam numquam View Post
      It is 12 months since the Hight Court defeat.

It is 2 years and 6 months since s.58 became law.

It will be 3 years in March since BN66 was first announced.

Hopefully people have put this time to good use, making contingency plans etc.

If not, and in the words of the French novelist Antoine de Saint-Exupery...

It's never too late to do something.

Exactly much as I would like to think that justice will prevail. It's clear to me that in the present climate anything to do with taxation for a small politically inconsequential group of people will turn our poorly. The scaling back of MP's UK business sends a clear message.

I expected this 18 months ago. The revenue will not be getting a penny out of me.

To anyone left in the UK have fun on the tulipty trains reading the daily fail, obsessing about house prices....

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        You are not alone. They seem to have sent out a sizeable batch just before Xmas.

In all the cases I'm aware of where debt management (DMB) showed up at people's doors, HMRC had previously accepted the appeals and agreed to postpone payment.

In some instances it was because DMB jumped the gun. In others it was due to clerical errors eg. not ticking the "do not collect" box on a form.

In the event that DMB do turn up on your doorstep:

(a) don't let them in - send them packing

(b) call Montpelier
        Ok thanks DR.

They'll have a shock if they turn up at the moment, as the mother-in-law is staying with us.

We call her The Terminator... she's a fierce Russian lady who doesn't speak any English... and
        won't take any shoite from those thugs... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
          snip....

Funnily enough, the amount - £46k - was a bit less than excpected, and they only demanded £30k of it up front. Not sure why.

That doesn't seem like much at all.

I thought there would be people on the hook for 150K + amounts... in which case as a previous post said you should have been making contingency plans, like becoming a tax exile somehwere nice and hot.

Can anyone tell me how they calculate the amounts?

Do they just calculate it as PAYE or do they allow expenses or allow the possibility that you would have been using a LTD company?

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
            That doesn't seem like much at all.

I thought there would be people on the hook for 150K + amounts... in which case as a previous post said you should have been making contingency plans, like becoming a tax exile somehwere nice and hot.

Can anyone tell me how they calculate the amounts?

Do they just calculate it as PAYE or do they allow expenses or allow the possibility that you would have been using a LTD company?
            I was only in the scheme for 18 months. The people with those big tax bills are the ones who were in Montp for 7 or 8 years I think.

We calculated our tax bill would be around £60k, so the £46k was a pleasant(ish) surprise, if getting a £46k tax bill can ever be pleasant.

Comment

I actually received closure notices for two years (2005/2006 and 2006/2007) in the same bundle.
              Looks like they've just added the amount from the partnership on as income tax and amended the
              tax returns originally submitted for those years.

The 30k was for the first year and the rest is for the second year. In fact they want the whole lot by 25th January 2011, I just didn't notice the second letter tucked away at the back.

Comment

I'm not sure what those bills that they send out mean. The last one I had had about two pages of meaningless calculations on it and then at the end it said I had nothing to pay. A complete waste of paper which I don't think for a minute means I don't owe something in their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by kbob View Post
                  The revenue will not be getting a penny out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyFunster View Post
                    I'm not sure what those bills that they send out mean. The last one I had had about two pages of meaningless calculations on it and then at the end it said I had nothing to pay. A complete waste of paper which I don't think for a minute means I don't owe something in their minds.
                    We received 19 pages of garbage.

Comment

COA

The longer the judges are taking the more encouraged I am, they obviously dont feel its a slam dunk for HMRC to have taken so long....

Comment

Working...
                      X