• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assets

dramatic as it may seem i think i would almost rather cancel my buildings insurance and get a big box of matches rather than hand over my house to HMRC if it came to that...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkwind View Post
      For any HMRC observers I'm not proposing any artificial shifting of assets as they have been jointly owned for many years, but I am curious if they can only legitimately "get at" half of our total assets.
      It is your debt (not your wifes), so they can only lay claim to your half of any jointly held assets.

Unfortunately, this may mean assets such as your house have to be sold so that they can get at your half.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Do not be fooled by the apparent attention that has gone into this letter.

It is just a rehash (cut and paste) of a letter many people received from Tory MPs this time last year, which I have no doubt was drafted by Conservative Central Office.
        yeah i was about to say it sounds very familar
        When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          dramatic as it may seem i think i would almost rather cancel my buildings insurance and get a big box of matches rather than hand over my house to HMRC if it came to that...
          im more thinking of getting all the money in £50 bills and burning it
          When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Unfortunately, this may mean assets such as your house have to be sold so that they can get at your half.
            I was afraid of that, I guess we'll just have to see if Parkers comments about HMRC recognising hardship hold any water.

I somehow doubt it!

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
              im more thinking of getting all the money in £50 bills and burning it
              i dont blame you, they are only going to relief themselves against a wall with it if they get our assets anyway...is it arson to burn your own house down? much easier to explain to a child that we cant live there anymore cos it burnt down rather than explain that the government took it off us...

i assume if they bankrupt you and take your home they have an obligation to put you into council accommodation as you wont have anywhere to live????
              Last edited by smalldog; 19 February 2010, 15:50.

Comment

OK, enough of the doom and gloom

HMRC are a long, long way from getting a penny out of us.

Apparently, letters went out from Montpelier to everyone yesterday confirming that the appeal has been filed with the Court of Appeal.

As we know, it is not unusual for written applications to be rejected, so we may have to go to an oral hearing.

Montpelier had previously committed to take it as far as the Supreme Court but WG says they will go to Europe if necessary.

Even if the human rights argument ultimately doesn't prevail, Montpelier have several "Plan B's" up their sleeve.

And let's not forget the Steed/KPMG case, and PwC who are backed by a consortium, including a property developer who put £60M through the scheme.

If HMRC think this is going to be easy they better think again.

Comment

yep I for one stand by you on that !!!
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Apparently, letters went out from Montpelier to everyone yesterday confirming that the appeal has been filed with the Court of Appeal.

As we know, it is not unusual for written applications to be rejected, so we may have to go to an oral hearing.

Montpelier had previously committed to take it as far as the Supreme Court but WG says they will go to Europe if necessary.

Even if the human rights argument ultimately doesn't prevail, Montpelier have several "Plan B's" up their sleeve.

And let's not forget the Steed/KPMG case, and PwC who are backed by a consortium, including a property developer who put £60M through the scheme.

£60m! Couldn't he just pay for the rest of us?

Comment

It is your debt (not your wifes), so they can only lay claim to your half of any jointly held assets.

It **might** not be as simple as that. Joint assets can be held as tenants in common or joint tenants. In one case (and I can't remember which) the asset is owned by both parties and passes absolutely to the other on death. In the other case both parties absolutely own a defined share (and becomes part of the estate on death).

Now, I have a thought that if it is a physical asset they may not be able to actually force the disposal of the other parties share. If this happened to be an illiquid asset like a house what would the value of one parties share be if the other pary could not be forced to sell?

Might be worth a bit of research.

[fwiw I have a vague recollection of a tax case where somebody owned a substantial property, however all access to it was through somebody elses land which happened to be owned by the debtors wife. The property was basically worthless without the land which controlled the access and there was no claim on that].
                      Last edited by ASB; 19 February 2010, 16:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X