• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
    and of course be a dick, actually i've deduced that anyway
    I've backed off from a total assassination of him. He appears to be ex-forces and to have done several good charitable deeds. I can only assume someone really p*ssed him off that day.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
      I've backed off from a total assassination of him. He appears to be ex-forces and to have done several good charitable deeds. I can only assume someone really p*ssed him off that day.
      Ah, but can he fly a Tornado with a bowl of pasta on his lap?

On a serious note, it's relatively easy for people to read the headlines and assume that anyone who legally mitigates their tax liabilities is automatically to be branded "tax dodging scum".

Comment

We are currently selling our house. My wife is worried if we lose on Monday HMRC could potentially block that house sale going through.

Anyone know if she is right to worry?

My view is we would still be ok, even in there is no Supreme Court appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by gasha11 View Post
          We are currently selling our house. My wife is worried if we lose on Monday HMRC could potentially block that house sale going through.

I can understand her concern but, whatever happens on Monday, we are a long way off HMRC being able to enforce collection.

In any case, why would HMRC block the sale if that meant them getting paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Ah, but can he fly a Tornado with a bowl of pasta on his lap?

On a serious note, it's relatively easy for people to read the headlines and assume that anyone who legally mitigates their tax liabilities is automatically to be branded "tax dodging scum".
            Yes, in my book "tax efficiency" = legal tax mitigation which as you say in red top lingo = tax dodging scum. That does appear to put him in the same place as us!

It also tends to be the same people who quickly forget that most contractors don't claim benefits when they are on the bench.

Can't comment on Tornados and pasta!
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              ...whatever happens on Monday, we are a long way off HMRC being able to enforce collection...
              Well said but I thought we were all supposed to be running around in a panic and here you are being all sensible again

Comment

Totally Sympathize

Originally posted by gasha11 View Post

We gave up putting our life on hold. 3+ years is long enough. Mortgage application went in early this week. Hoping to exchange contracts next. What excellent timing :-s
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug1965 View Post
                  Well said but I thought we were all supposed to be running around in a panic and here you are being all sensible again
                  I get emails from people who seem to think HMRC are poised ready to pounce once the decision is handed down on Monday.

HMRC may be a bit of a law unto themselves but even they have to follow procedures.

Appeals to Closure Notices would have to be discharged before they could issue demands, and these appeals are completely separate to what's going on in the Court of Appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I get emails from people who seem to think HMRC are poised ready to pounce once the decision is handed down on Monday.

HMRC may be a bit of a law unto themselves but even they have to follow procedures.

Appeals to Closure Notices would have to be discharged before they could issue demands, and these appeals are completely separate to what's going on in the Court of Appeal.
                    yes that's true. All those appeals are still on file. I seem to remember Montpelier were going to try and appeal at the Tax Tribunal even if we lose.

Could be wrong on that one though...

Comment

only slightly over mildly interested

I'm assuming that all this will drag on for years yet in some form or other, I'm finding it hard to get more than mildly interested in Monday's judgement. Not worth expending so much nervous energy on worrying, action is the only worthwhile energy expenditure, worrying is counter-productive. In case anyone has a pop I do have 6 figs riding on this but I haven't actively worried for a couple of years now and it hasn't made any difference to events. When there's something we can do I'll be all over it - until then I'm relaxing... ;-)

Thanks DR for all the updates helps to have such consistency - you should get an OBE for services to the community!
                      The Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X