• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    From the sound of it, I don't think any of the cases so far can be pinned on HMRC.
    DR, your initial survey handed over to the JCHR told a pretty comprehensive story about the effect of BN66 on people. Whilst I would not imply any link, I doubt the authorities would want to have any association to "cause and effect". Might I suggest that HMRC consider the impact evidence in the JCHR brief as a clear sign of what this measure can do to people if they do try to enforce the measure?

Tax avoidance may not be popular amongst the many, but the side affects that can come about are even less so. HMRC should take time to pause and consider the downstream affects of persuing BN66. There are headlines out there waiting to be written. Human Rights may indeed end up being more in focus on this than they had ever considered.

Comment

There seems to be a few people on here that have gone through divorce and separation. I am wondering how many of these is directly attributable to BN66? They say money is the biggest cause of marital breakdown.
      Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

attributing factors

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
        I am wondering how many of these is directly attributable to BN66?
        Nope - the wife. If you think HMRC is vindictive you ain't seen nothing until you've met her....

Comment

HMRC behaviour

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
          again soooo wrong on many levels...just getting more and more angry by the day
          A while ago I was at a social function & found myself sitting next to a barrister who does tax work. He said that until a few years ago the taxpayers and their advisors were sometimes crooked. Now, he said, it is the Revenue that behave like crooks.

I thought that he was using the term loosely until I read the article. What HMRC are doing here is a crime. Can anyone trust a bank to keep information secret if even government bodies buy data that has been stolen by insiders?

Here is the link again:

http://www.accountancymagazine.com/c...UseBVCookie=No

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydd View Post
            A while ago I was at a social function & found myself sitting next to a barrister who does tax work. He said that until a few years ago the taxpayers and their advisors were sometimes crooked. Now, he said, it is the Revenue that behave like crooks.

I thought that he was using the term loosely until I read the article. What HMRC are doing here is a crime. Can anyone trust a bank to keep information secret if even government bodies buy data that has been stolen by insiders?

Here is the link again:

http://www.accountancymagazine.com/c...UseBVCookie=No
            HMRC, the government and MPs are criminals. They just write the law in such a way as to exclude themselves.

If the French and English governments condone stealing data, maybe we should all become data thieves. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any floppy disks left on train seats.
            Last edited by SantaClaus; 15 March 2010, 22:09.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

A retrospective take on Brown

Here's what he said in '97 in his first Budget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/politics97/budg.../economy.shtml

Sorry mate, but it 'aint what you said then so I don't believe what you say for the future. Next!

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
                Here's what he said in '97 in his first Budget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/politics97/budg.../economy.shtml

Sorry mate, but it 'aint what you said then so I don't believe what you say for the future. Next!
                Now there's a word you haven't heard for a while.

Prudence

Comment

And the cost of paying the interest on the National Debt is around

43 BILLION

Prudence is not a word I think could be used to describe paying that much back on interest when it's more than the Treasury spends on defence. I can think of another word, but I don't think the Moderators would like me to put it here....

Comment

Gordon is a Moron

For anyone who's old enough to remember the Jilted John original...

http://gordonisamoron.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      For anyone who's old enough to remember the Jilted John original...

http://gordonisamoron.co.uk/
                      I dont remember the original, but the video spells it out so clearly. Gordon Brown is bankrupting the country and leaving a legacy of debt for our children.

There's another video on the website that states "the average Briton will have to work 4 extra years of their life to pay off their share of the debt [created by this govt.]".

I wonder if that's their "fair share" of the debt?
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 16 March 2010, 23:06.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X