• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's an idea...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-building.html

"Joseph Stack left a six-page suicide note in which he railed against the Internal Revenue Service, the US federal tax agency.
    He wrote: "I am finally ready to end this insanity. Well, Mr Big Brother IRS man let's try something different. Take my pound of flesh and sleep well."

"There was a storm raging inside me. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We are brainwashed to believe there is freedom in this land."

"The software engineer detailed how he had spent $5,000 (£3,000) and 1,000 hours of his time writing to senators and congressman about taxes and how he lost his retirement savings for the second time in the 1990s."

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      bbc one tonight at 22:07 HMRC tax receipts massively down, worst in last 20 years, any chance thats cos they are driving people away or into avoidance.....hmmmm prophecies by any chance??? please anyone in HMRC smell the coffee, bullying wont work!!!!

ps - greece sound amazing, lets all go live there!!!!
      Worse than that, has anyone else noted that the £200m we're supposed to owe has suddenly become £100m? If it keeps going like this, they'll owe us money.

Greece does sound great. Mind you, in comparison to here so does many other places.

Comment

great article in the mail

I would urge you to read this article primarily concerning loss of faith in HMRC. Too many relevant quotes to include here, so please follow the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...-far-time.html

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          bbc one tonight at 22:07 HMRC tax receipts massively down, worst in last 20 years, any chance thats cos they are driving people away or into avoidance.....hmmmm prophecies by any chance??? please anyone in HMRC smell the coffee, bullying wont work!!!!

ps - greece sound amazing, lets all go live there!!!!
          I hear Santorini is nice this time of year.

Not only are tax receipts down, but the month on month public sector borrowing figures were a massive 6 billion more than expected today. (actual +4.3B vs expected -2.4). Yes, the analysts expected a reduction in borrowing, but the figures printed a huge increase! Where's it all going Gordon? .

So Brown-stuff is spending obscene amounts on £800 a day management consultants* whilst reducing the tax take through his oppressive regime.

Of course, the £ dropped straight away. Might have to use £10 notes for loo roll soon.

*confirmed by my wife who works for the public sector.
          Last edited by SantaClaus; 19 February 2010, 00:24.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-building.html

"Joseph Stack left a six-page suicide note in which he railed against the Internal Revenue Service, the US federal tax agency.
            He wrote: "I am finally ready to end this insanity. Well, Mr Big Brother IRS man let's try something different. Take my pound of flesh and sleep well."

"There was a storm raging inside me. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We are brainwashed to believe there is freedom in this land."

"The software engineer detailed how he had spent $5,000 (£3,000) and 1,000 hours of his time writing to senators and congressman about taxes and how he lost his retirement savings for the second time in the 1990s."
            I can understand the Yank's frustration.

I was a member of the oldest/safest pension fund, Equitable Life. Safe, that is, until the Govt took its eyes off the ball and failed to spot an immense black hole in EL's accounts. And even after the Parliamentary Ombudsman insisted TWICE that the Govt MUST bail out the fund, what was the reply? "Too expensive". I believe the cost would've been a couple of billion.

And what has the banking bail-out cost? 170 billion and rising?

Perhaps the only surprise is that more people don't take such drastic measures. I guess it's a measure of how civilised most people are even under extreme duress and provocation.

The failure of EL, and the govt's subsequent inaction, as well as IR35, were what drove me to the Montpelier scheme in the first place. It was and is clear that the govt does not give a flying about anyone unless they're unemployed or running a bank.
            Last edited by phileds; 19 February 2010, 02:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              Where's it all going Gordon?
              Perhaps up his nose?

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
                I can understand the Yank's frustration.

I was a member of the oldest/safest pension fund, Equitable Life. Safe, that is, until the Govt took its eyes off the ball and failed to spot an immense black hole in EL's accounts. And even after the Parliamentary Ombudsman insisted TWICE that the Govt MUST bail out the fund, what was the reply? "Too expensive". I believe the cost would've been a couple of billion.

And what has the banking bail-out cost? 170 billion and rising?

Perhaps the only surprise is that more people don't take such drastic measures. I guess it's a measure of how civilised most people are even under extreme duress and provocation.

The failure of EL, and the govt's subsequent inaction, as well as IR35, were what drove me to the Montpelier scheme in the first place. It was and is clear that the govt does not give a flying about anyone unless they're unemployed or running a bank.
                I completely agree with you Phil.

Many of us were driven to use the Montpelier scheme for different reasons. In many cases it was because IR35 was an unfair and uncertain tax, the govt. saw us as easy targets to milk, and we were not going take it lying down.

In your case, it was a realisation that the govt. didnt give a sh!t about your pension savings.

It makes Judge Parker's ruling that we must pay our "fair share" look absolutely ridiculous. As we all know, the definition of "fair" has been bastardised beyond all recgonition by the Labour government.

Let's hope the court of appeal isn't a Kangaroo court too.
                Last edited by SantaClaus; 19 February 2010, 08:32.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Kangaroo Court is a bit steep I feel, however I am reconciled to losing on appeal. The only court in the land with the authority to genuinely question the will of Parliament and assess the impact and implication of these softer 'Social Policy' issues is the Supreme Court. I think we are on a fast track to a hearing at that level. In fact the Judiciary and respective Silks probably recognised the road map before our JR and the system is just going through the motions right now to get us there.

Comment

Tax debt - can't afford to pay

For anyone who may not have the means to pay, this excellent booklet from TaxAid is definitely worth reading.

It explains in detail how HMRC Debt Management operates.

http://www.taxaid.org.uk/uploadedfil...tober_2008.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      For anyone who may not have the means to pay, this excellent booklet from TaxAid is definitely worth reading.

It explains in detail how HMRC Debt Management operates.

http://www.taxaid.org.uk/uploadedfil...tober_2008.pdf
                      under "Seeking time to pay" it say you can ask the DMB for waiver of the tax..... great all our problems are solved

or maybe "Suspension of collection action for a period"...how about 200 years?

i see how the conversation will go "Hi i want to make some arrangements" DMB says "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie NOW"

Anyone else think DMB is missing a U
                      When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Working...
                      X