• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT direct debit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to call HMRC three times today, morning, early afternoon and 7:40pm (hoping they'd be quiet just before closing). Each time after hearing a long recorded message, the automatic service just stated "we are very busy right now, please call again later" - not even a queing service available they simply disconnected the call.

So the government can piss a lot of money away on some crappy projects etc yet one of their own revenue collections services is piss poor beyond belief.

Sod 'em, they'll get the money Wednesday - they can kiss my if they try to penalise my company
    Last edited by SuperZ; 20 April 2010, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
      I tried to call HMRC three times today, morning, early afternoon and 7:40pm (hoping they'd be quite just before closing). Each time after hearing a long recorded message, the automatic service just stated "we are very busy right now, please call again later"
      Fancy becoming an accountant? Sadly your experience is all too common. Sadly they seem to have cut the staff before they got all the online gubbins working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        I tried to call HMRC three times today, morning, early afternoon and 7:40pm (hoping they'd be quite just before closing). Each time after hearing a long recorded message, the automatic service just stated "we are very busy right now, please call again later" - not even a queing service available they simply disconnected the call.

So the government can piss a lot of money away on some crappy projects etc yet one of their own revenue collections services is piss poor beyond belief.

Sod 'em, they'll get the monday Wednesday - they kiss my if they try to penalise my company
        As I said earlier - I was a month late because I assumed that the direct debit would work. They just wrote and told me something was wrong with the return or the payment - manually made the payment and no penalty for being a month late.

Hopefully you'll find the same.
        If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          You need to set up the direct debit BEFORE submitting the VAT return. I've witnessed quite a few times where someone submits their first VAT return and sets up the direct debit in the same online session, but if they submit the return first then (at the point it was setup) no direct debit was in place.
          Doesn't matter if it's BEFORE or AFTER if all done on the same day. You need to allow several days between DD and the return to make it collected automatically.

Got caught there as well, the message they show upon the completion of the DD setup is truly misleading, glad I decided to double-check it today, so I still have time to pay it manually before the due date. Waiting time on the phone was about 10 minutes.

Comment

I had this problem. They let me off being late when I made manual payment. Second payment after setting up went out via DD without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              Fancy becoming an accountant? Sadly your experience is all too common. Sadly they seem to have cut the staff before they got all the online gubbins working properly.
              Keep reminding yourself, the government is bankrupt.

Comment

Working...
              X