• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make the most of unclaimed dividends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    If you don't mind being a bit fast and loose (I am not sure of the benefit in kind implications of this so ask your accountant), I believe some offset mortgages are available which will allow you to offset company funds against your personal mortgage.
    Never heard of it, can someone confirm if that's possible ? Wouldn't that result in BIK ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Never heard of it, can someone confirm if that's possible ? Wouldn't that result in BIK ?
      It's possible - some banks definitely offer it.

HOWEVER, it's open to a lot of interpretation if HMRC ever find out. If you google for

offset mortgage using ltd company funds

you'll find a link to another contractor site with an article about how it's pretty dodgy and the things they can catch you for...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

OK, did some research on the subject, does not look like it is going to work:
        Stoozing Forum - Would it be possible
        Last edited by administrator; 7 March 2011, 16:31. Reason: link removed

Comment

HMRC states "By law, at the end of each tax year you must give HMRC particulars of any expenses payments, benefits and facilities provided to:
          * Each employee or director earning at a rate of £8500 a year , or more and
          * Each director earning at a rate of less than £8500 a year, unless they are a full-time working director with no material interest in the company"

Surely, this IS benefiting the director and therefore a P11d entry.

Comment

OK, did some research on the subject, does not look like it is going to work:
            Stoozing Forum - Would it be possible
            There was something on here from one of the accountants (can't remember his name but he's based on Watford) that gives you a possible way via a deed of trust. I think the argument is that it offers better security for the companies money because if the bank disappeared the loan and savings would be totalled out but you could then repay the company by taking out another loan.
            Last edited by administrator; 7 March 2011, 16:32. Reason: link removed
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You could buy a charter yacht or holiday property as an investment.

You could probably sponsor a motor racing team or other sporting endeavour as "marketing" if you were that way inclined.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If you're an old timer like me, it's a no brainer to use a SIPP. I recently paid in £60k to my SIPP and a few days later got a cheque back for £15k tax free, leaving £45k in the SIPP and no personal or ltd co tax paid at all. Not bad. Unfortunately, you now need to be >55, upto April 2010 it was >50.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  There was something on here from one of the accountants (can't remember his name but he's based on Watford) that gives you a possible way via a deed of trust. I think the argument is that it offers better security for the companies money because if the bank disappeared the loan and savings would be totalled out but you could then repay the company by taking out another loan.
                  Yep that was me. It can be done from a tax perspective but whether or not the mortgage lender would allow it (if they found out about it) is another question.

PUMA

Comment

Working...
                  X