• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 review confirmed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1

IR35 is a complicated pain in the neck, that I've never really understood and just tried to work around/get contract reviews/be careful etc... but its still a gamble. Making things clearer is definitely a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamuk View Post
      thing is - I dont actually care what they change it to as long as its clear whether you are in or out
      Well, if thats the case, just assume you are in and pay the tax. Obviously you do care, otherwise you would just be doing that already.

Comment

I would have thought most of us would be dreading a review. The number of contracts that might look out of IR35 but are plainly hidden employee's at total direction of the client must be phenomenal and therefore the govt loses on tax and the contractor gains. All these people would not welcome a review I would have thought?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Always, better the devil you know. It can only get worse from here.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I read about the IR35 review. I think they're as likely to drop it as they are to get rid of duty on a pack of fags.
            Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep View Post
              +1

IR35 is a complicated pain in the neck, that I've never really understood and just tried to work around/get contract reviews/be careful etc... but its still a gamble. Making things clearer is definitely a good thing
              True, but it's not in the coalition's interest to make it clearer how a contractor can pay less tax, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by JulesInch View Post
                I read about the IR35 review. I think they're as likely to drop it as they are to get rid of duty on a pack of fags.
                Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what unfolds
                Aye.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

It's not about tax it's about NICs. Subtle difference. It's also not about employee vs non-employee, it's about being in business as an independent supplier of services against being someone pretending to be to take advantage of corporate taxation levels. If, for example, you could say you were a business and in exchange would not be looking for employee benefits from the government such as maternity benefits or Tax Credits or JSA, would that be a fair exchange?

All I keep seeing is moans about "they're trying to tax us more by making us all employees". It's not about that, and never has been.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

All I keep seeing is moans about "they're trying to tax us more by making us all employees". It's not about that, and never has been.
                    I agree. Have been telling you lot for ages that you need a company brochure.

Denny

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                      Well, if thats the case, just assume you are in and pay the tax. Obviously you do care, otherwise you would just be doing that already.
                      No I dont care what they change it to - they could say it 99% tax if you in as long as they define what in means

That way once you know the rules you can decide if you want to play or not

Comment

Working...
                      X